How long it takes : 30 minutes
Number of servings : 4-5
Pepper one of the most popular spices used in most of the usual powders – sambar, rasam powder, garam masala, pav bhaji masala, chole masala – really, nothing spared. Today though I am using pepper powder as the main ingredient of a dish and not just another powder. This is an Andra delicacy and deserves attention amidst the more popular one pot meals such as Biriyani and Pulao.
What you need to have:
1. Cooked Basumati rice – 2 cups
2. Pepper powder – 1 tablespoon
3. Sesame powder – 1 tablespoon
4. Curry leaves – 10-12
5. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
6. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
7. Cashews – A handful
8. Raisins (supplement with any other favorite dry fruits as well ) – A handful
9. Cooking oil – 2 teaspoons
10. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon (optional)
11. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of pepper rice
Cooked basumati rice
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain basumati rice and cook it in the cooker so that the rice corns are separate as shown in image 2.
2. Dry roast pepper, sesame seeds and curry leaves in a skillet separately and on cooling powder together in the mixer and place it aside as shown in image above.
3. Place a skillet with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil/pure ghee in it. When heated add mustard seeds and once it splutters add cumin seeds to it. When fried add curry leaves, raisins and cashews to it and fry till done.
4. When fried add cooked rice from step 1 to it and also add powdered spices from step 2 and also required quantity of salt and give a stir with the wooden spatula and on cooling squeeze a dash of lemon juice to it (optional).
Cooked rice, spice powder, salt added to the seasoning
5. Finally pepper rice is ready to serve with a spicy curry of your choice.
Ready to serve pepper rice with green peas masala
Good to remember:
1. Always prepare fresh pepper powder for this dish rather than just something you buy.
2. Squeezing lemon juice is optional.
3. Make sure rice corns is cooked just right to avoid it from turning soggy.
4. I have used a mix of both white and black peppers, again left to your options.