Time taken: 20 minutes
Serves : 3-4
Oregano leaf is a wonderful herb both to use in cooking and therapeutically as needed. Oregano/Dodpathre/Sambarbalii in English/Kannada/konkani. Oregano is the main ingredient in the Mediterranean cuisines in the U.S and is often used in Pasta sauce. Oregano contains vitamin A C E and K, as well as fiber, foliate, iron, magnesium, vitamin B6, calcium, and potassium. It’s anti oxidant contents support the immune system and its useful in treatment of upper respiratory tract infections.
My mom used to prepare this wonderful chutney and i thought of sharing it on this blog today.
What you need to have:
1. Oregano leaves – 1 Cup
2. Turmeric powder – A pinch
3. Pure ghee – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Tamarind/Bilimbi – 2-3
5. Red chili – 2-3 (Byadgi chili)
6. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 Cup
7. Salt – As per taste
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2.Cumin seeds – 1/4 Teaspoon
3. Broken red chili – 1 or 2
4. Curry leaves – A few
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and pat dry the leaves and chop it fine and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 1/2 teaspoon of pure ghee in it. When heated add chopped Oregano leaves from step 1 to it. Also add salt and a pinch of turmeric powder to it and cook it on low flame till done. Chopped Oregano leaves being cooked
5. Transfer all the ingredients of chutney in the mixie bowl and adding water in steps grind it to a coarse consistency checking for salt. Place a spatula with a little oil in it. When heated add mustard seed to it. Once it splutters, add cumin seeds to it. Add broken red chili and finally curry leaves to it. Switch off and add it to the ground chutney.
How long it takes: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
Good to remember:
1. Use absolutely fresh leaves. Else it will be tasteless.
2. One can even use green chili in place of red chili.
3. No other spice is added for the reason that the aroma and taste of the leaves is lost.
4. One can use jaggery/sugar if needed.