How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3
Dill leaves is Sabbasgi soppu in Kannada. I have already put up a few dishes like the Dill leaves Poha upma, Chithranna, spicy and sweet idli and today it is the Sujee upma with dill leaves instead of the normal upma. One would think the Dill leaves means pungent odor, but let me assure you with the other ingredients in place, the dish brings out the best in Dill leaves. This is one reason to try out Dill leaves if you never have done so before.
What you need to have:
1. Upma Sujee – 1 cup
2. Chopped dill greens – 2 cups
3. Green peas – 1 cup
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
3. Blackgram dal – 1 Teaspoon
4. Green chili – 3-4
5. Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
6. Cashews – 8-10
7. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
9. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
10. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop onions lengthwise, slit onions and keep aside as shown in the image. Wash, clean and chop dill greens too and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with Sujee in it on medium flame. Dry roast the same for about 10 minutes till you get a pleasant aroma and taking care to see that it is not burnt. Just transfer it to another bowl and keep it aside.
Sujee being dry roasted
3. Place the same skillet with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in on medium flame. When it is heated add mustard seeds and blackgram dal to it. When it splutters dal also will be done and then add slit green chili and curry leaves to it. Also add cashews to it and fry till crispy. Add turmeric powder, chopped onions and also required quantity of salt to it and fry till transparent.
Seasoning in progress
4. When done, add chopped dill greens and green peas to it and cook till done closing the dish with a lid for about 5 minutes.
Dill greens & green peas being added
5. In the mean time do boil 2 cups of water on the other burner. When cooked soft add roasted sujee from step-2 to it and also add boiling water simmering the flame. While the sujee is being cooked and the peas too along with it.
Roasted sujee being added
Boiling water added to the upma mix
Ingredients of garnishing:
1. Fresh grated coconut – A handful
2. Chopped cilantro – A handful
3. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients of garnishing
6. When done add chopped cilantro, fresh grated coconut and give a stir. Check for salt and finally while serving add a dash of lemon juice too! As you would with any Upma, enjoy this with Chivda/mixture !
Upma being garnished
A closer view of the dish
Good to remember::
1. One must dry roast sujee till you get a pleasant aroma and make sure it is not burnt adjusting the flame as per the size of the burner.
2. Use fresh dill leaves for the dish.
3. Quantity of dill leaves depends on your taste, so try with smaller quantities as above and then experiment!
4. I sometimes like adding sugar to this dish – sort of gives a sweet-strong flavor.