Ready to serve Cauliflower green stir fry
Number of servings: 3-4
How long it takes: 45 minutes
A couple of days back I put up crispy fried cauliflower which was the more fun and snacky time. Now time for something more simple and wholesome – a stir fry with the cauliflower florets and greens ! Typically we tend to throw away the greens but this time I happened to buy a fresh Cauliflower with tender greens and so thought of adding them to the mix along with the flowerets. And I am glad I did ! You will too if you try this one. A great combination with Chapati/Roti.
What you need to have:
1. Cauliflower greens chopped – 2 cups
2. Flowerets – 1 cup
3. Chopped potatoes – 1/4 cup
4. Chopped onions – 1 cup
5. Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
6. Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
7. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
10. Salt – to taste
11. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop Cauliflower, its greens and also peal potatoes too and chop fine as shown in the image. Soak the flowerets and potatoes together and the greens separately in water for about 10 minutes.
2. Place a skillet with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated add cumin seeds and when it splutters add chopped tomatoes to it and fry till mushy.
3. When done add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to it and fry till transparent.
4. When onions are transparent add all the powders.
5. Stir well and add chopped cauliflower greens and close it with a lid and cook till soft
5. When done, add chopped flowerets, chopped potatoes from step 1 to it and close it with a lid and cook till done on low flame only.
6. When done ready to serve and transfer it to a serving bowl. Enjoy with chapati or even roti.
Good to remember:
1. The greens should be very close to the flower since it is tender .
2. One can even use Green peas as a combination to the dish.
3. Since the greens take a little longer to cook it should be cooked intially and add the other veggies subsequently.