Ready to serve shallow fried Kothambari vadi
Time taken : 1 hour
Serves – 4-5
Kothambari soppu in kannada is cilantro in english, dhania patha in marati is such a popular , healthy herb that is used as a garnishing ingredient in most of the dishes like the pulao, salad, kosambari, sambar and Rasam, Green chutney (used for chats) for sure. If the same cilantro is grown in our kitchen garden with no artificial manure Wow!!What a fascinating aroma it has ,i can easily imagine…. The same cilantro which we normally buy has no aroma at all as it was available a couple of years ago, due to the fact that all sorts of chemicals and insecticides etc are by the growers….
This “Kothambari vadi” is a Maharashtrian dish usually a starter dish i can say at most of their dinner parties!!Else is a normal snack in other homes a very tempting and delicious dish for sure!!!Here is my version of the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped cilantro – 2 and 1/2 cups
2. Besan atta/ Chick pea atta – 1 Cup
3. Rice atta – 2 Tablespoons
4. Ginger chopped/paste – 1 Tablespoon
5. Red chili powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
7. Dhania powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Cumin powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Garam masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon(home made)
10. Sesame seeds – 1 Tablespoon
11. Roasted peanut powder 1 Tablespoon
12. Caraway seeds – 1 Teaspoon
13. Baking soda – 1/4 Teaspoon
14. Salt – A s needed
15. Sugar – 1/2 Teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
Chick pea atta, rice atta & baking powder mix
Kothambari vadi mix ready to steam
Steamed kothambari vadi
Cut kothambari vadi ready to shallow fry
Kothambari vadi being shallow fried
Kothambari vadi being flipped & fried
Ready to serve kothambari vadi with tomato sauce or green & sweet chutney
Time taken : 1 hour
Serves : 4-5
Good to remember:
1. Sieving of atta with soda makes the vadi soft and fluffy!!
2. Do not add more water as the dish may turn sticky hard
3. you may cut it to required shape and size.
4. One may prepare this and fry as and when needed.
5. It can even be deep fried for sure!!!