How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3
Cauliflower is in the same family of vegetables as the more popular cabbage and the less popular brocolli. It is an annual plant that reproduces by seed. Cauliflower is low in fat, high in fiber and vitamin C. I feel this is a favorite veggie among the younger generation. Dishes like Cauliflower fries, Gobi Manchurian and widely and wildly popular.
Today though I am putting up a simple, healthier and not surprisingly a favorite family dish – the cauliflower stir fry/Upkari. Chopped capsicum, as I mention, is optional but I say use it if you have it !
What you need to have:
1. Chopped flowerets – 3 cups
2. Chopped capsicum – 1 cup (optional)
3. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Asafoetida powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Salt – as per taste
9. Cooking oil -1-2 teaspoon
Ingredients of cauliflower stir fry
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, chop capsicum into bite size pieces and also chop capsicum fine and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it. Once it splutters add all powders in a row.
3. Once done add chopped capsicum and add required quantity of salt to the dish just give a stir and let it cook for a while. Later on add chopped flowerets fropm step 1 to it and close the lid and let it cook being covered and at times give a stir in between till done.
Chopped flowerets being added
Flowerets being coated with powders
4. Ready to serve cauliflower stir fry is as shown in the image below. Really yum ! Enjoy with rice and dalithoy.
Ready to serve cauliflower stir fry