Ash gourd/Winter melon/Kumbalkayi and Kuvale. We prepare a lot of dishes like Kuvale Sasam, Ash Gourd Coconut gravy, Juice, Puli which I have already put up and burfi which is what I am putting up here. This sweet is one of the most popular wedding snacks in my part of the world. Its also available in almost all the sweet stalls in and around Mangalore/Manipal though not quite so in other places. Its a bit time consuming to prepare and if you have the time, I tell its worth it.
What you need to have:
1. Grated Ash gourd – 3 cups
2. Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
3. Pure ghee – 2 Tablespoons
4. Grated dry fruits – A handful (i have added cashew & pista)
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
Grated Ash gourd
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate ash gourd and keep it aside. Squeeze it and keep the juice aside. Run the grated gourd in the mixer/blender to grind it to a smooth consistency. Transfer the ground ash gourd to a skillet with its juice and put it on medium flame and keep stiring adjusting the flame.
Ground Ash gourd being cooked
2. Cook it on the flame till all the juice evaporates. Measure the cooked gourd and normally it will be about half the quantity of the original grated Ash gourd in volume. (1 and 1/2 cups ).
Cooked gourd being solidified
3. Add 1 and 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder , 2-3 teaspoons of pure ghee and place it on medium flame again.
Ash gourd pulp being cooked with sugar
4. Cook it adjusting the flame and add grated dry fruits to it. Add ghee as well in between and cook till it leaves the side of the skillet.
Cooked Ash gourd burfi mix
5. Grease a tray with pure ghee and spread the mix on it. Flatten it and cut it into required shape and size.
Ash gourd Burfi being cut into pieces
A closer view of Ash gourd Burfi
How long it takes: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Number of Burfi pieces: 25