Time taken : 20 minutes
capsicum/dhonne mensinkayi/Dabbu mirchi in english, kannada and hindi and Cabbage/patha gobi/kosu gadde in english, hindi and kannada respectively . Both the veggies are so popular now a days that it is needless to introduce for sure. The most important thing to note here is that the veggie should be fresh and cabbage should be preferably tender for this dish since it is consumed raw. I have put up a few recipes like the cabbage upkari, cabbage bhuthi, cabbage sanna polo, capsicum sukhe, capsicum kairus and so on. I gave a try to this rare salad a couple of times and it really tastes yummy with either raw capsicum or a little stir fried capsicum. I have put up my version of the salad. Do try it out!!! Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyy
What you need to have:
1. Chopped tender cabbage – 2 cups
2. Chopped capsicum (de-seeded) – 2 cups
3. Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
4. Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoons(optional)
5. Lemon juice – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Chopped cilantro – a handful
7. Salt – to taste
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
2. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
3. Red chili pieces – 2-3
4. cumin seeds – 1/3 teaspoon
5. Curry leaves – 1 sprig(optional)
6. Cooking oil – 1 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop cabbage, capsicum, cilantro fine and keep it aside. Wash, peal and chop onions too fine. Grate coconut too.
2. Place a skillet with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. On heating add chopped capsicum and a little salt to it and let it wilt for a while. Allow it to cool.
Chopped capsicum being cooked
2. Combine all the chopped veggies and cooked capsicum(being wilt) and other ingredients in a wide bowl and mix well adding salt and lemon juice too.(check for salt as capsicum has been wilt up with salt)
All ingredients in a bowl
3. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. Once it starts spluttering add broken chili pieces, asafoetida , cumin seeds and switch of the flame. After a while season it to the dish. Yummmmmm Enjoy it with rice, dal & papad!!!!!
Ready to serve cabbage-capsicum salad
Time taken: 20 minutes
Note: 1′. It is better use fresh veggies for best results as it is consumed raw.
2. Green chili can be used as per your spice level.
3. Check for salt as capsicum already contains while wilting.
4. Seasoning is a must as i have used only red chili pieces for spicyness.