Sugarcane juice / Kabbarosu /Kabbina halu. I had earlier put up an unlikely recipe – Sugarcane juice Chakli – which was well-received. So, we continue on that note and present another not so well known dish – Appams made with Sugarcane Juice is Kabbarosa Appe in Konkani. Sweet Appam, as we know, is a prasad item for Ganeshji. And then there is also the Urad Dal appam. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Raw Sona masuri Rice – 1 Cup
2. Sugarcane juice (plain) – 1 Cup
3. Puffed paddy – 2 Cups or Beaten rice (thin) – 3/4 cup
4. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
5. Jaggery – As per taste depending upon the sweetness of juice
6. Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Cardamom powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Salt – A pinch
Ingredients of Sugarcane juice Appam
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash raw rice, fenugreek seeds and soak it in water for about 2 hours. Grate coconut, chop jaggery and keep aside as shown in image-1.
2. When soaked drain the water completely from soaked rice. Soak puffed paddy in 1/2 cup Sugarcane juice itself.
3. Grind soaked puffed paddy, grated coconut, jaggery in the mixer to a fine consistency. Divide it into 2 equal parts and add half the quantity of soaked rice from step 2 to it and grind it to a fine consistency.(No need to add water at all.) Repeat the same process for remaining half the quantity of rice. The ground batter is as shown in the image below.
Ground Sugarcane juice Appam batter
4. On fermenting the batter would be as shown in the image below. Add cardamom powder to it and mix well.
Fermented Sugarcane juice appam batter
5. Place a Appam skillet on medium flame with pure ghee being smeared in each appam pit and spread it with the help of a coconut coir for the first time. Take a laddle of dough and fill each mold up to 3/4 level so that on cooking it puffs up and there are holes all around. Smear a little ghee/oil and close it with a lid.
Sugarcane juice appam being fried
6. Just remove the lid and flip them by using the back of a spoon/blunt knife and smear a little ghee. ( I have a special spatula for this purpose. )
Sugarcane juice appam being fried on the reverse
7. Enjoy hot with Amul butter and chutney poowder or even coconut chutney. yuMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sugarcane juice Appam with Amul butter & chutney powder
How many Appams: 35-40 of the above size
How long it takes: 45 mins
Good to remember:
1. Use plain and fresh sugarcane juice for the dish. Jaggery depends upon the sweetness of juice.
2. People also use beaten rice (poha) in place of puffed paddy. But in my experience, beaten rice causes the appams to turn black/dark and stick to the plates with black residual dough. And if fried a little more than it should, can easily turn bitter.
3. Remaining batter can be pushed in refrigerator and used in a day or two.