Ready to serve Red pumpkin paratha with chili pickle & tomato sauce
Makes : 8-10 of the above size
Time taken – 1 hour
Pumpkins, like other squash, are native to North America. Pumpkins are widely grown for commercial use, and are used both in food and recreation. Pumpkin pie, for instance, is a traditional part of Thanksgiving meals in the United States, although commercially canned pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie fillings are usually made from different kinds of winter squash than the pumpkins frequently carved as jack o’lanterns for decoration around Halloween.
In india too pumpkin is available all the year round. It grows very huge in size and will be weighing some where around even 25-30 k.g. by weight. It is used in mixed vegetable stew , and also a gravy vegetable with cocoanut and other spices, and also the normal stir fry too!!!Today i would like to put up pumpkin paratha and is something different than others. I have put up a couple of recipes like the pumpkin in cocoanut gravy, pumpkin stir fry, and pumpkin sweet puri a couple of years back on this blog. Here goes the recipe of pumpkin paratha!!!
What you need to have:
1. Red pumpkin grated – 1 Cup(cooked and grated)
2. Whole wheat atta – 1 Cup
3. Besan atta – 1/2 Cup
4. Grated green chili – 2-3
5. Grated garlic – 1-2 pods if paste – 1/2 teaspoon(optional)
6. Ginger paste – 1 Teaspoon
7. Sesame seeds – 1 Tablespoon
8. Ajwain seeds – 1 Tablespoon
9. Turmeric powder – A pinch
10. Sugar – 1/2 Teaspoon
11. Chopped cilantro – 2 Tablespoons
12. Salt – as needed
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal and cut Pumpkin into long pieces removing the seeds and grate it and keep it aside. Place it in the Microwave oven and cook it for about 5-6 minutes till soft and make sure it is cooked soft.
2. Wash and grate green chili, ginger, and also peal and grate garlic too and keep it aside.
3. Cool the cooked pumpkin and smash it with your hands to see that there are no lumps in it. Sieve both the atta and transfer all the ingredients into a wide bowl to knead it into a soft dough. All the ingredients being transferred to a bowl
4. Make a paliable soft dough combining all the ingredients. As the veggie contains lot of moisture you may need to sprinkle water at the end, else to knead it would be easy. Pinch out lemon sized ball from the dough and roll it to required thickness as below. The dough, pinched out ball & the rolled roti
Rolled paratha being roasted
6. Flip and fry till dark brown dots appear on both the sides and till fried.
Paratha being flipped and roasted on the reverse
Ready to serve Pumpkin parathas with pickle & tomato sauce
Makes : 8-10 of the above size
Time taken : 1 hour
Good to remember:
1. Grate and cook red pumpkin without water as it contains water on its own and can adjust sprinkling if needed to knead.
2. One can roast parathas with ghee as well. but i prefer to use only either sunflower oil or olive oil!!!
3. Roll to the required thickness as per your preference.
4. Enjoy with any chutney powder or side dish of your choice.