I have already put up sweet appam in the context of being a prasadam for Sankashti. This appam is normally prepared either for tiffin, breakfast or even for lunch box. For this variety of appam we need Blackgram Dal, raw rice and Fenugreek seeds soaked like the normal dosa. The difference here is mainly in the proportion of the ingredients.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram Dal-1 cup
2. Raw rice-1and 1/2 cup
3. Fenugreek seeds-1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Blackgram Dal Appam
Ingredients of topping:
1. Curry leaves – 5-6 strings
2. Corriander leaves – a handful
3. Ginger – 4″ piece
4. Green chillies – 2
5 . Fresh coconut pieces- a few
Ingredients of Appam toppings
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and soak Blackgram Dal, fenugreek seeds together in water in a bowl for about 3 hours.
2. Wash and soak rice as well in a bowl of water for about an hour.
3. Grind Blackgram Dal in the grinder/mixer to a fine consistency adding water in steps like you grind for idlies.
4. Grind rice in the grinder adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency. Mix this to the dal batter from step 3 and allow it to ferment overnight adding required quantity of salt. The fermented batter is as shown in the image below.
The fermented blackgram dal appam batter
5. Chop green chillies, ginger, corriander leaves and coconut pieces fine and mix it to the batter and as shown in the image below.
Appam batter mixed with the chopped toppings
6. Place appam tawa on medium flme and apply either cooking oil or butter to it. When heated simmer the flame and pour the batter into the moulds and close it with a suitable lid. The image below shows the holes once you have added the batter – this is due to the fact that the batter is fermented.
Appam batter being cooked in the moulds
7. Just reverse appam to roast on the other side and is as shown in the image below. They come out just by the touch of a spoon end or by a blunt knife.
Appam being cooked on the other side
When Appam is roasted light brown serve hot with either chutney powder/wet chutney/sambar or any of your favorite side dishes
Ready to serve Blackgram Dal Appam with chutney