I have already put up a few pickles recipes on this blog namely Lemon pickle, Instant Mango pickle, Star fruit pickle and Raw Jack pickle. Today I am putting up a mixed pickle which I tried a couple of times before having a few friends/family sample. And now it goes up here if some of you wanted to try. thought of just sharing with all the viewers. It is a mixed pickle of Lemon, Amla , Mango Ginger and the green chilly. Here is my version of this pickle.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Lemon pieces – 1/2 Cup
2. Chopped Amla – 1 Cup
3. Green chilly chopped – 4 Number
4. Chopped Mango ginger – 1/2 Cup
Ingredients of Masala powder:
1. Chilli powder (Byadgi) – 7 Teaspoons
2. Mustard Dal – 3 and 1/2 Teaspoons
3. Fenugreek seeds – 1/3 Teaspoon
4. Asafoetida soft – Size of a peanut
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Oil – 10 Teaspoons
7. Table Salt – 1/4 Cup
8. Sugar – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Pickle Masala powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Dry roast salt in a skillet on a low/medium flame till it turns dry and free falling consistency.
2. Wash and dry mango ginger on a piece of cloth to dry it. Cut it into small pieces, also wash and chop lemon and pit Amla and chop it too. Cut Green chilly into pieces.
3. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame and fry soft Asafoetida in it till crispy. Allow it to cool.
4. In the same spatula fry fenugreek seeds till done and keep it aside.
Fenugreek seeds being fried in oil
5. Just heat oil in a spatula and warm up Mustard dal in it and immediately transfer it to a plate to cool.
Dal fried in oil
6. Heat oil in a spatula, switch off and just add chilli powder to warm it up but do not burn it. Add turmeric powder too and warm it up to mix with chilli powder on switching of the flame.
7. Apply salt and sugar to the chopped veggies from step-2 to it.
Salted veggies 8. Powder all the masala ingredients on cooling and mix it to the salted veggies. Heat oil in a spatula add a small piece of soft Asafoetida to it and on cooling just pour this oil on the top of the pickle on bottling. This pickle is ready in a couple of months
How long it takes: 1 hour
How much pickle made – 1 Bottle
Good to remember:
1. Use dry spoons for any pickle to enhance the shelf life of the same.
2. Use ripe lemons and fresh Amla.
3. Roasting Salt is to get rid of the sogginess and turn it free flow. Adding sugar is optional but taste wise I would recommend it.
4. Always warm up oil and add all ingredients one after the other in steps so that it is not burnt.