Time taken : 45 minutes
Serves : 4-5
Baingan is nothing but egg plant and also Brinjal in english needs no introduction at all. My family loves Brinjal and especially the smoked Baingan bharith as it is out of the world with its pleasant aroma though it is a little laborious and messy to clean up the place and the veggie too!!! I have already put up Yengai-stuffed egg plant /Brinjal in north karnataka style and is a very popular recipe on this blog. Here is my version of this recipe….
What you need to have:
Ingredients of seasoning & garnishing:
1. Chopped Tomatoes – 3/4 Cup
2. Chopped onions – 1 and 1/2 Cup
3. Roasted Cumin powder – 3/4 Teaspoon
4. Coriander powder – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoons
5. Garam masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon(home made)
6. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
7. Red chili powder – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
9. Sugar – 1/4 Teaspoon(optional)
10. Salt – As needed
11. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop tomatoes. Also wash, peal and chop onions too and chop cilantro too. Prepare the ginger garlic paste too and keep it aside.
2. Wash and pat dry the veggie and prick it all over with a fork. Apply a little oil all over it and roast it on the fire directly on your gas stove burner adjusting it every now and then till it is completely done. Egg plant being roasted Roasted Egg plant
7. Finally add roasted, pealed and mashed egg plant from step-3 to it and give a stir adding a little water as well to it to get the right consistency, checking for salt too and not to forget to add a pinch of sugar. Mashed and roasted egg plant being added Dish being adjusted adding water and salt too
Time taken:45 minutes
Good to remember: 1. Use tender and fresh Egg plant for a better flavour.
2. Adding sugar gives a wonderful taste.
3. Roast it either on gas or on a thick skillet as well. One can even roast on fire wood too if available.