Time taken: 1 hour
Number of servings: 4-5
Ridge gourd is a vegetable available around 6 months of a year. Ridge gourd has a high water and nutrient content and barely any fats and cholesterol Thus they may be used as a dietary food, especially for diabetics, who can have it to keep their nutrition levels intact, but also reduce their weight considerably. It is used in sambars, curries and also used in combination with veggies like Chayote squash, and French beans in the preparation of gravy dishes with coconut. What I am putting up here is actually a Maharashtrian delicacy.
Fresh Ridge gourd
Chopped Ridge gourd
What you need to have:
1. Chopped ridge gourd pieces – 20 of the above size
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Peanuts roasted – 1/2 cup
3. Garlic pods – 2
4. Jaggery – 1 teaspoon
5. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
6. Tamarind pulp – 1 teaspoon
7. chili powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
9. Roasted sesame seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
10. Chopped cilantro – A handful
11. cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
12. Salt – to taste
13. Goda masala- 1/2 teaspoon
Ingredients of wet masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, wipe and remove the ridges of the gourd slightly and chop into 2″ size pieces and slit as shown in the above image so that one is able to fill in the masala.
2. Place a skillet 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add onions to it and fry till transparent adding salt on the way. When it turns transparent add turmeric powder, chili powder and stir well. Add grated coconut, and all other ingredients like the tamarind paste, jaggery, roasted peanuts, garlic, and sesame seeds and stir well and switch off the flame. Allow it to cool down.
Wet masala ingredients roasted
3. Grind on cooling in the mixer to a thick paste adding minimum water.
Ground wet masala
4. Fill in the masala in each of the ridge gourd pieces so that it is stuffed well.
Wet masala filled in the veggie
5. Place a skillet with a teaspoon of cooking oil in it and place the masala filled ridge gourd pieces in it and add the remaining masala if any and also a little water to it and close it with a lid, stirring occasionaly to see that it is not burnt. Cook till ridge pieces is soft.
Masala filled gourd pieces being cooked
6. When done garnishing with choped cilantro. Enjoy with rice or roti. Yummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ready to serve ridge gourd masala
Good to remember:
1. Ridge gourd should be fresh and tender for this dish.
2. Chopping off the whole ridges of the gourd makes the veggie weak and will be difficult to fill in the masala as it will not be steady. It is also good to retain the ridges for the nutrients will not be lost completely.