How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
This is a classic Konkani dish, enough said. Kulith/Horse-gram itself is used in a variety of dishes. I have already put up the idly dosa and now here comes the mother of them all – the Kodhel.
What you need to have:
1. Horse-gram – 1/2 cup
2. chopped banana stem – 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Kulitha kodhel
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
2. Red chili – 3
3. Tamarind pulp – 1 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Cook both Horse-gram chopped banana stem in the cooker adding sufficient quantity of water till soft as usual in the cooker for about 30 minutes
2. Cook Jack-fruit seeds in a separate bowl on direct heat till soft. Transfer all to a broad bowl adding salt bring it to boil.
3. Place a spatula with 1/2 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low flame and on heating fry red chili in it. Grind coconut, Red chili and tamarind in the mixer adding water in steps to a fine consistency and add this wet masala to the cooked ingredients bowl from step 1 to it and ring it to boil.
Kulitha kodel being ready to serve
Good to remember:
1. No need to soak horsegram at all and directly cook it along with the veggies.
2. One can even season it with mustard and asafoetida but garlic seasoning is ideal for this dish.
3. One can even use Mangalore cucumber(Magge in konkani) for this dish.