Davangere a city situated in the central part of Karnataka state where this dosa apparently originated. I tasted this first back in 1997 when my elder son was studying dentistry. I borowed the recipe from one of our family friends there and tried out the recipe a number of times and is really very yummy and tasty and totally different compared to other dosas. Give this a shot and leave your comments as usual.
What you need to have:
1. Raw Rice (Sona Masuri) – 1/2 cup
2.Par Boiled Rice – 2 and 1/2 cups
3. Blackgram Dal – 1 cup
4. Pigeon Dal /Toor Dal – 2 Tablespoons
5. Fenugreek seeds – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Davangere Benne Dosa
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak separately Blackgram dal in water for about 2-3 hours. Also soak Toor dal, fenugreek seeds and raw rice together in water for about 2 -3 hours. Soak par boiled rice in water for about 5-6 hours since it needs to soften to grind in the mixer/grinder.
2. Grind Blackgram Dal in the wet grinder adding water in steps to a fine consistency.
Dal being ground in the wet-grinder
3. Grind soaked Toor dal, soaked raw rice and fenegreek seeds in the mixer together adding water in steps to a fine but thick consistency.
T.Dal, Raw rice being ground in mixer
4. Grind soaked Par-boiled rice in the mixer separately to a fine and thick consistency. Add ground Toor dal-raw rice mix from step-3, ground par-boiled rice from step-4 to the ground dal from step-1 and run the grinder to mix up and the mixed dosa dough is as shown in the image below.
Ground Davangere Dosa mix
5. Transfer it to a broad bowl , add salt and allow it to ferment overnight.
Salt being added to the Dosa dough
6. Next morning on fermenting dosa dough would be as below.
Fermented Dosa dough
7. Place a dosa skillet on medium flame and on heating, add in a little butter on it and rub it with a coconut coir/Tissue paper so that it spreads to the whole skillet evenly. Splash some water simmering the flame and pour a laddle of dosa dough and spread it to a medium thickness. Put the flame on high and close it with a lid adding 1/4 teaspoon butter on the dosa..
Dosa batter being spread on the skillet
Dosa being cooked
8. Serve hot with chutney and potato special mix.
Ready to serve Davangere Benne dosa
Number of Dosas: 25-30