Ready to serve Misal pav
Time taken : 1 hour
Misal pav recipe is yet another street food of Bombay. It is very popular not only among Mahrashtrians but also among the younger generation of this day. My son is a big fan of these chats so also me for sure. I relished it in one of the chat center at udipi and since then i prepared it a couple of times at home and enjoyed it too. This recipe consumes a little bit of oil and i think for once in a while it could be okay for a change. Here goes the recipe:
Ingredients of Matki usal:
1. Sprouted Moth beans/Matki – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Boiled potatoes – 1 cup
3. Choped onions – 1/2 cup
4. Ginger – garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon each
5. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Garam masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon (home made)
8. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
9. Sugar – 1/2 Teaspoon(optional)
10. Cumin cloves powder – 1/2 teaspoon
11. Coriander powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
12.Cooking oil – 2 Tablespoon
13. Salt – as needed
14. Chopped cilantro – A handful (to garnish)
15. Pav bread – as many as you need
16. Sev or mixture – As needed
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak Matki/moth beans in water over night. Drain water and tie it in a cloth and allow it to sprout and cook it in the cooker till done. Wash and peal potatoes and cook them also in the same cooker in a bowl till soft.
Moth beans soaked and rained from water
Cooked Matki and potato cubes
Ingredients of Seasoning & garnishing for matki usal
3. Place a wide skillet with 1 tablespoons of cooking oil in it. when heated add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to it and fry till transparent.
Chopped onion being fried in oil
4. When chopped onions are fried add ginger-garlic paste to it and give a strong stir. Ginger-garlic paste being added to the fried onions
5. Add all powders in a row and stir along.
All powders added in a row
6. Add cooked moth beans and potatoes and 2-3 cups of water and check for salt. A pinch of sugar can be added for extra flavor. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro. Cooked matki beans & potato added Ready to serve matki beans usal A closer view of Matki beans usal
Ingredients of the gravy/kat:(the gravy which is served as the first layer on the usal)
1. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
2. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
3. Chopped onion – 1 cup
4. Chopped tomato – 1 cup
5. Grated fresh coconut – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of gravy
To make the gravy:
1. Wash and chop tomato, wash, peal and chop onions, grate coconut and make ginger-garlic paste and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 1 tablespoon cooking oil in it and on heating fry ginger garlic paste in it.
Ginger-garlic paste being fried
3. When fried add chopped tomatoes to it fry till mushy. Now add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to it and fry till transparent. Finally add grated coconut and fry till done.
Coconut being added to the fried onion-tomato mix
4. When done the mix would be as shown in the image below. On cooling, grind it in the mixer.
Fried onion, tomato, ginger-garlic paste & coconut mix
Grind mix and the other ingredients to make the gravy
Other ingredients of the gravy:
1. Cooking oil – 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon
2. Chili powder – 1 Teaspoon
3. Garam masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Cinnamon-clove powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Salt – check as being added earlier
8. Water – Around 2-3 cups
1. To make the gravy place a skillet with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in it and on heating fry all the powders in a row in it.
All powders being fried in oil
2. Add the grind masala mix from step-4 to it and also 2 cups of water and bring it to boil checking it for salt. If needed add little more water to it as well. Gravy being cooked
3. Transfer it to a serving dish for a closer view of the dish.
Ready to serve gravy/kat
Pav bread to serve with usal
How to serve/what you need :
1. Matki usal – 1/2 bowl
2. Kat/gravy – as needed
3. Chopped onion – 2-3 Tablespoon
4. Chopped tomato – 2 -3 Tablespoons
5. Chopped cilantro – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Sev - 1 Tablespoon
7. Pav bread – 2-3
8. Lemon slice -1
1. In a bowl add the matki usal. To it add the gravy to cover it . Garnish with chopped onion, tomato and cilantro and finally add sev and serve with pav and piece of lemon. One can shallow fry pav or serve plain!!!!Yummmmmmmmmm.
Matki usal being served in a bowl
Kat/gravy being poured upon usal
Ready to serve Misal-pav
Time taken -1 hour
Note: 1. Matki/Moth beans is ideal to serve as usal with this dish.
2. Matki should be of fresh stock . Else will not sprout at all.
3. It is a laborious and lengthy recipe to write up but very tasty for sure. One needs a lot of patience to prepare it.