Sapatha is a sweet Semolina pudding which is prepared as prasad for Sathyanarayana puja. We at home prepare Sheera from Semolina but we donot add bananas and milk , the two special ingredients of Sapatha. A little background on the Puja itself is due.
Satyanarayana Puja is a ritual performed by Hindus before/on any major occasion like marriage, house warming ceremony etc. It can also be performed on any day for any reason. The Satyanarayana Puja is unique in that it does not require a priest to perform. The Satyanarayana Puja is usually done on the Poornima day of every month (the day of the full moon). It is also done on special occasions and during times of achievements as an offering of gratitude to the Lord. These occasions include marriage, graduation, and the purchase of a new home to name a few.
The puja starts by a prayer to Lord Ganesha, the elephant God and remover of all obstacles that may occur as a result of incorrectly performing the puja. This is done by chanting all the names of Lord Ganesha and offering prasad (a food offering, usually consisting of one of Lord Ganesha’s favorite foods – modak, a sugar and coconut mixture, or [lhadu]) and the showering of flower petals. Refer wickey.
What you need to have:
- Wheat semolina (Thin) – 1 Cup
- Pure ghee – 1 Cup
- Milk – 2 and 1/2 Cups
- 5 Bananas – 250 grams
- Sugar – 1 Cup
Ingredients of Sapatha(prasadam)
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a thick bottomed bowl on medium flame with the above mentioned quantity of ghee. On melting add semolina and fry it till you get a pleasant aroma as you fry for upma.
2. Meanwhile heat milk and bring it to boil. Add boiling milk slowly to the fried Semolina and stir it well in such a way that there are no lumps. Make sure that semolina is cooked well. If Semolina is not cooked some more milk can be added and cooked properly.
3. Add Banana pieces to the cooked semolina and stir it for a while on a low flame till it is cooked for about 3-5 minutes depending upon the quantity one prepares.
4. Add sugar to it and stir it well till the dish releases ghee on the side of the bowl as shown in the image below. Do not drain it and it will seep into it gradually. It should be done on a low flame only. Offer it to the almighty and distribute it as prasad to the gathering.
Ready to serve Sapatha(Puja prasad)
What to remember:
1. Fry semolina in ghee so that it is not raw.
2. Add warm/hot milk only so that there are no lumps. The quantity of milk depends upon the thickness of the semolina. If semolina is not cooked , the dish will turn hard.
3. Cook it on medium/low flame only. For this prasad only 5 ingredients is as per the rituals. The flavour of this dish is unique and awesome. Hence please do not add any dry fruits , Cardamom, saffron etc.
How long it takes: 45 Minutes
Serves 30-40 people