Makes : 8-10
Time taken :1 hour
Most of you know what is paratha. It is a flat stuffed bread stuffed with vegetables and you can use any vegetable and the most common being the “Potato”. But Raddish, Cauliflower, Methi leaves, and even Toffu make great and arguably healthier parathas than the potato fillings. Today i have decided to make Mushroom filling paratha.
Until recently Mushroom was never common in the indian cooking. A few years later button mushrooms were available in plastic covers in even in grocery stores. Now a days even for the vegetarians these mushrooms are favorites because of the unique flavor and is the staple of indian cuisine.
I love Mushrooms and i knew that these parathas would turn out to be yummy and they did. Mushrooms tend to give away a lot of moisture and you need to remove every trace of moisture to make a quality paratha. Here is my version of the recipe..
What you need to have:
1. Grated Mushroom – 2 cups
2. Onion chopped – 1cup
3. Garlic minced – 1 teaspoon
4. Ginger grated – 1/2 teaspoon
5. Green chili grated – 1 teaspoon
6. Cilantro chopped – 2 teaspoons
7. Dry mango powder – 1/2 teaspoon
8. Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
9. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
10. Besan powder – 1 tablespoon
11. Salt- as per taste
Ingredients of the outer dough
1. Wheat atta – 1 and 1/2 cups
2. Salt – as per taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop onions fine, chop cilantro and grate green chili as well and keep it aside.
2. Place a wide pan with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame and add chopped onions and salt to it and fry till transparent.
3. When done add turmeric powder, chopped green chili and fry for a minute.
9. Make a soft and paliable dough by mixing water in steps to the wheat atta , salt and cooking oil. pinch out the required quantity of the dough and make round balls. Dust it in the atta and roll a 4″ disc and place the stuffing ball in it. Close the edges by bringing together all the ends. Roll it dusting it in atta into 6″ roti . Rolled disc, stuffing being placed and rolled paratha
10. Place a roti skillet on medium flame. On heating splash a little oil on it and place the rolled paratha from step-9 on it. Apply oil on the top of the roti too. Rolled paratha being placed on the skillet
Makes : 8-10
Time taken: 1 hour
Good to remember:
1. Mushroom should be fresh for better taste.
2. The stuffing should be perfect to stuff it and then roll it as well.
3. One can even relish it with curds and chili pickle.
4. The outer dough also should be soft to roll it perfect.