How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
Snake gourd is another healthy veggie though not among the most popular. I am hoping to change that (!) with this recipe – a kosambari. I just tried this one a while ago when my domestic help bought very tender snake gourd fresh from her garden. I prepared it a couple of times, it turned out great and I thought this is worth sharing. Very simple, minimal and commonly available ingredients.
Fresh green gourd vegetable
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Snake gourd – 2 cups
2. Fresh grated coconut – 2-3 tablespoons
3. Chopped onions – 1/2cup
4. Green chili -2 chopped fine
5. Chopped cilantro – a handful
6. Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
7. Salt – to taste
Ingredients of seasoning:
1.Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Red chili pieces – 3-4
3. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
4. Cooking oil – 1 Teaspoon
1. Scrape the outer layer of the veggie and chop it very fine as shown above.
2. Grate coconut, chop green chilly, peal onions and chop cilantro fine and keep aside.
3. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl adding lemon juice and salt to it.
4.For the seasoning: Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. On sputtering add red chili pieces and curry leaves to it. Season the dish.
Serve it with rice and dal or even with curd rice!!!
Ready to serve snake gourd kosambari
Good to remember:
1. Snake gourd should be extremely tender so that the pulp can be chopped off to give extra flavour to the dish.
2. Onion is an option but you can do without it.
3. One can even add roasted peanut powder as another option.