rice sweet dish
Ready to serve Rice kesari bath
Time taken ; 45 minutes
Usually Kesari bath is prepared with suji/semolina in almost all kitchens. But on special occasions like the wedding, house warming etc now a days this has again entered the menu list for sure. We have attended a couple of weddings and for one’s surprise the old conventional dishes like the “Chanedali kichadi”(sweet) and “Rice kesari bath” have made a come back. Of course these dishes are really tasty and healthy for sure but still the younger generation who might not have been aware of these dishes, they could be taken aback!!! Here is my version of rice kesari bath….
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. Water to cook rice – 4-6 cups(depending upon the quality of rice)
3. Sugar – 2/3 cup(adjust according to taste)
4. Saffron strings – A few
5. Pure ghee – 4 Tablespoons
6. Cloves – 4-5
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from Basumati rice and keep it aside. Soak saffron strings in a little warm milk so that milk gains the colour of saffron.
6. Place a wide skillet with sugar in it preferably on low/medium flame. Add cooked rice from step-4 to it. Also add 1 tablespoon of pure ghee to it. Cooked rice, sugar & pure ghee being added to incorporate itself
7. When the mixture incorporates well add milk-saffron mix from step-1 to it and also add fried dry fruits from step-5 to it and mix well with a wooden spatula. One can even add a dash of pure ghee when done and ready to serve. Saffron mixed milk being added Fried dry fruits being added
Time taken : 45 minutes
Note: 1. Use Basumati rice for better quality and flavour.
2. The quantity of water depends upon the quality of rice one uses for the dish. Please do not add the water at once. I cooked rice thrice as the water i added was not sufficient.
3. Any dry fruits of one’s choice can be used.
4. The quantity of sugar depends upon one’s individual taste.
5. Please do not over cook rice. But make sure it is ideally cooked.
6. Some people use food colour which i do not prefer at all.