About Shevige Biryani
Every one would like to try something new every once a while, especially on weekends when there is more time for something elaborate or something that requires more effort if you are trying the first time. Shevige Biryani is one such dish I recommend you try if you have not already. This biriyani is one of the favourite dishes of my younger son Sharath and mine as well.
Unlike the usual Rice Biryani this is easier to prepare and as such is made during functions and parties. I first saw this at Hotel Diana in Udupi. I always prepare it with the Bambino or the M. T. R. brand vermicelli since both of them are very thin and on cooking they turn out finer.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped French beans – 1/2 cup
2. Flowrets – A handful
3. Carrots chopped – 1/2 cup
4. Green peas – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning & grinding:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
3. chili powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Garam masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon(home made)
6. Cashews – A handful
7. Slit green chili -1
Ingredients of grinding:
1. Tomato -1
2. Garlic pods – 5-6
3. Ginger – 1 ” piece
Fresh chopped veggies
Ingredients of seasoning & grinding
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop Beans, cauliflower, carrots and keep it aside as shown in image-1. Also peal and chop onions lengthwise, peal garlic pods too and wash and chop cilantro too and keep it aside.
2. Cook the chopped veggies in the cooker adding a little salt so that it is not over cooked for only 10 minutes.
Chopped veggies placed in the cooker to cook
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. Add cumin and when it splutters add cashews and fry till done.
Seasoning in progress
4. When done, add chopped onions from step-1 to it and also add required quantity of salt to it .
Onions being fried in seasoning
5. Grind chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic in the mixer to a fine consistency.
6. When onions turn transparent add all powders in a row and also the grind masala from step-4 to it and give a strong stir using a wooden spatula.
Wet masala & powders added in a row
7. In the mean time place a bowl with 2 and 1/2 cups of water and bring it to boil on the other gas burner. Now add the vermicelli , slit green chili and 2 cups of boiling water simmering the flame and close it with a lid till done.
Water being added to cook the dish
8. Just open the lid to see if the dish is cooked. Add cooked veggies from step-2 to it . Give a stir with the wooden spatula so that the dish and the veggies is not crushed. Since coked veggie also contains some moisture leave the pan open for a while. It will be almost done by now. Ready to serve vermicelli biryani is as shown in the image below.
Vermicelli biryani being cooked
9. Check for salt and transfer it to a serving bowl garnishing it with chopped cilantro.
A closer view of the dish
Time taken – 1 hour
1. Use roasted vermicelli available in all super markets for better results.
2. Use boiling water to cook vermicelli since it gives a good texture to the dish.
3. I have used 1 green chili for extra flavour and since the dish was a little blant.
4. I have used home made garam masala powder and hence it is only 1/2 teaspoon since strong.