Hyacinth beans dishes
Time taken : 1 hour
Avrekalu/Hyacinth bean is a seasonal beans available only during 3-4 months of a year. A variety of dishes can be prepared and i have already put up a few of them namely Avrekalu huli, hasi khara, hichikida bele, mixture Avrekalu khara idli, roti etc and today i would like to put up a one pot meal to add to the long list on this blog. Avrekalu pulav has a distinct flavour due to the double pealing of this bean. Here is my version of the dish….
What you need to have:
1 Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. Avrekalu (double pealed) – 1 and 1/2 cup
Fresh Avrekayi (beans) Double pealed Avrekalu
Ingredients of seasoning:
1 Cashews – a few
2 Chopped onions -1 cup
3. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
4. Bay leaf – 1
5. Cinnamon stick – 1″
6. Cloves – 2
7. Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoons
8. Cardamom – 2-3
9. Ghee/cooking oil -1 tablespoon
Ingredients of wet grinding:
1 Grated fresh coconut – 1/2 cup
2. Green chili – 2
3. Ginger – 1″ piece
4. Garlic pods -2-3
5. Cilantro – 2-3 teaspoons
6. Cloves -2
7. Kopak buds (marata moggu) -2
8. Bilimbi -2-3
What you do with what you have:
1 Wash and drain water from Basumati rice and keep it aside. Peal off the skin of Avrekayi beans and soak the beans in water for about 5-6 hours and then peal it again and is shown in image-3.
2. Place a cooker on medium flame with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in it. While being heated, add cumin, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf to it and when done add cashews to it and fryt till done.
3. While being done , add chopped onions ,turmeric powder and a little salt and fry till onions turn transparent.
4. In the mean time grind all the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer to a fine consistency adding water in steps. When onions is done , add the wet masala to it and give a stir till you get a pleasant aroma.
5. Add double pealed Avrekalu to it and finally add rice from step-1 to it and also add required quantity of water , also check for salt and close the lid of the cooker and cook for 20 minutes.
6. When the pressure is released transfer a part of it to your serving plate and enjoy with tomato-onion salad!!!Yummmmmm as usual!!!!!!!
Time taken: 1 hour
Good to remember: 1. Avrekalu should be fresh for better taste.
2. Use quality Basumati rice for the dish.
3. One can enjoy the dish with any side dish of his/her choice.
4. Spice level should be adjusted as per your pallot.