Time taken: 1 hour
I had some veggies which i wanted to put to a good use up like preparing veg fried rice. This dish involves a little bit of knife work as these veggies are to be cut fine and are to be par boiled and should be crunchy. Veggies like french beans has to be cooked but should be crunchy to relish the dish. Every one has their own version of the dish and here goes my version of veg fried rice. You can relish with any side dish of your choice.
What you need to have:
1.Long grain rice 1 cup
2. Ghee or cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
3. Spring onions chopped- 4-5
4. French beans chopped – 1/2 cup
5. Carrots – 1/2 cup
6. Chopped Capsicum – 1/2 cup
7. Green peas – a handful
8. Chopped garlic pods – 2 teaspoons
9. Cashews – a handful
10. Chopped green chili – 1 teaspoon
11. Pepper powder – 13/4 teaspoon
12. Soya sauce – 2 teaspoons
13. Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
14.. Spring onion greens – a handful (to garnish)
15. Salt – to taste
16. Cooking oil/ghee – 2 teaspoons
17. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1 Wash and drain water from rice and cook it in the cooker in such a way that rice is cooked but grainy. Either spread it on a plate or in a wide bowl. Powder pepper in the mortor and pestle and keep it aside. Cooked basumati rice
2. Wash and chop all the veggies including capsicum fine and keep it aside. Just keep the capsicum seeds as well separately so that it can be used in the seasoning as shown in the image-3.(it is placed next to chopped green chili) Also chop the spring onion whites fine and reserve finely chopped spring onion greens to garnish finally. Peal and chop garlic pods too fine and keep it aside.
3. Place a wide pan with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add chopped green chili and fry till done. When fried add chopped garlic and fry till you get a pleasant aroma. Add cashews to it and fry till light brown. Chopped green chili, garlic and cashews being fried
6. When done , add 1 teaspoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons of soya sauce and also add pepper powder from step-1 to it and give a stir. Finally add cooked rice from step-1 to it and give a storng stir checking for salt. Finally garnish with chopped spring onion greensfrom step-2 to it and transfer to a serving plate and enjoy with any side dish of your choice. As usual yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!! Ready to serve fried rice A closer view of fried rice garnished with spring onion greens
Time taken : 1 hour
Serves : 4-5
Good to remember: 1. If one knows to cook the rice rightfully in the cooker can do it, else can cook directly.
2. Veggies must be cooked but crunchy.
3. One can even add chili sauce if need to be spicy.