Time taken: 45 minutes in all
Betel leaf is considered to be auspicious among the indians. It is immensely used during all occasions like the weddings,house warming and also in fixing some business deal etc.. Betel leaf is a heart shaped leaf that exhibits unmatched medicinal properties. Betel leaf’s medicinal uses are hugely underrated, but highly efficient. Take a dive in the world of medicinal uses of betel leaf you will be amazed. It is amazing analgesic and you get relief from pain . One can just paste the leaf and drink the juice to get relief from pain. Like wise it also eases constipation. It improves digestion and also improves hunger, it reduces gastric pain , it also improves oral health. We also prepare rasam which i will put up in the coming days. Here goes the recipe for betel leaf rice…
What you need to have:
1 Cooking oil – 2 teaspoons
2. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
3. Black gram dal – 1 teaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
5. Chopped onions/shallots – 1/2 cup
6. Garlic pods – 6-8
7. Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
8. Chili powder – 1/4 teaspoon
9. Curry leaves – 2-3 sprig
10. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon(to garnish)
11. Chopped cilantro – 2 teaspoons(to garnish)
12. Sprouted moong bean- 1/2 cup(cooked or raw sprouted Moong bean but optional)
12. Cooked rice – 1 cup
Ingredients of wet masala:
- Betel leaves – 4 (fresh and tender prefered)
- Cumin seeds -1 teaspoon
3. Pepper either white or even black- 1/2 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from Basumati rice and keep it aside. Cook it in the cooker in such a way that rice corns are separate but cooked.
2. Place a wide pan with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated, add mustard seeds to it. When it is about to splutter, add black gram dal to it. Once it is fried add curry leaves to it. Add chopped garlic pods and fry till done. Add turmeric powder, chili powder and add chopped onions to it and fry till done adding a little salt so that onions is not burnt.
3. In the mean time, grind betel leaves, cumin and pepper in the mixy adding a little water to a fine consistency. Add this wet masla to the seasoning from step-2 to it and fry till the raw smell disappears.
4. Mix cooked rice from step-1 to it and give a stir with the wooden spatula. Sprinkle chopped cilantro, squeeze lemon juice once the rice is mixed well with the masala check for salt. One can even add either sprouted Moong bean either raw or cooked which is an option. Relish with salad or any side dish of your choice. As usual yummmmmmmmm
Ready to serve Betel leaf rice(chithranna) with tomato-onion salad
Time taken: 45 minutes in all
Good to remember: 1. The betel leaf used should be fresh and tender for better flavour.
2. Rice should be cooked in the right way for a better look and taste.
3. Using sprouted moong is an option but tastes yummy . I have not added as i wanted to relish betel leaf flavour exclusively.
4. One can even use either peanuts, cashews while seasoning too.