Time taken – 45 minutes in all
Varai/kodo millet/chinese millet/thinnai in konkani, english and tamil respectively. The health benefits of this millet i have put up in detail in the recipe here. I have already put up a few recipes of this millet on this blog namely varai idli, dosa, undi, masala upma and varai kheer and today i would like to put up instant varai idli which needs no fermentation and can be prepared instantly like the rava idli. Here is my version of the recipe….
What you need to have:
1 Varai/Kodo millet – 1/3 cup
2. Semolina/sujee – 1/4 cup
3. Yoghurt/curds – 3/4 cup
4. Carrots(grated) – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of seasoning and garnishing:
1 Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
2. Bengalgram dal – 1/2 teaspoon
3. Chopped green chili – 1/2 teaspoon
4. Chopped ginger – 1/4 teaspoon
5. Cashews – a few
6. Raisins – a few
7. Curry leaves – a few
8. Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoon
9. Chopped cilantro – 2 teaspoons
10. Black salt – 2 pinches
11. Cooking soda – 1/2 teaspoon(fresh)
12. Salt -a pinch(as needed)
13. Sugar -1/4 teaspoon(optional)
What you do with what you have:
1 Place wide pan with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters add bengal gram dal to it and when fried add cashews, raisins and aslo add chopped green chili, to it. Once done, add curry leaves to it , Now add sujee and fry till you get a pleasant aroma adjusting the flame. Once it is done, add grated carrots and ginger to it and fry till it crimples a little. Finally switch off and add kodo millet (varai) and give a stir. (make sure you pulse varai in the mixy for a few seconds)
2. Allow to cool the mixture by transferring it to a wide bowl. Transfer curds to the mixy bowl and pulse it for a few second to clear the lumps so that it gets easily mixed with the fried idli mix. Add it to the mixture in the bowl. Add salt, sugar, chopped cilantro, grated coconut and stir well to bring it to the required consistency. Also add water so that it is at the right consistency as shown in the image below. Add soda as well and keep it aside for 10 minutes till water starts boiling in the idli steamer.
3. Place a idli steamer with required quantity of water in it and bring it to boil . Greece the idli mould and pour the instant Varai idli mix in each of the mould and steam it for 20 minutes or till done. (to know if done or not insert either the back of a spoon or a knife into the cooked idli and it should come out clean.)
4. Transfer it to a serving plate and relish with either coconut chutney or any chutney powder of your choice.As usual yummmmmmmmmm!!!!
Time taken: 45 minutes
Good to remember: 1. One can even roast semolina separately to avoid it getting burnt.
2. Always use fresh and sweet yoghurt for better taste.
3. Pulsing varai is to get to the consistency of semolina to help it to get easily combined with semolina in the idli mix.
4. One can even add Eno salt in place of soda.