Ready to serve Beetroot greens masala with roti
Time taken: 45 minutes
Beetroot is a versatile colourfull vegetable which is available throughout the year and is loved by especially kids for its awesome taste. It is also used in salads, cutlets, and also in certain dishes for its elegant colour. The health benefits of the veggie is may like it is always said that consuming vegetables and fruits of all kinds has been long associated with reduced risk of many life style related health conditions. Many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like beetroot decreases the risk of obesity and overall mortality,diabetes,heart disease and promotes a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy, overall lower weight. Because of high fiber content in this veggie it prevents constipation and helps healthy digestion. I would like to use up the greens of this veggie as well in the diet and hence would like to share the recipe with my viewers today. Here it goes….
Fresh Beetroot with greens
What you need to have:
1.Toor dal – 3/4 cup
2. Fresh Beetroot greens chopped – 3 cups
3. Chopped Beetroot – 1 cup
4. Chopped onions – 1 cup
6. Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
7. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
8. Red chili powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
9. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
10. Dhania jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
11. Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon(home made)
12. Cooking oil -2-3 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
- Wash and chop the veggie as well as the greens fine and keep it aside as shown in the image
2. Wash and cook toordal along with the chopped veggie in the cooker till soft.
3. Peal onions and chop it fine. Also wash and chop tomatoes fine and keep it aside. Place a wide pan with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. When heated, add chopped onions to it fry it till transparent adding sa Chopped tomatoes being added to the seasoning
4. When done, add chopped tomatoes as well to it and fry till mushy. When done, add all the powders in a row and also ginger-garlic paste to it and give a stir till you get a pleasant aroma All powders and ginger-garlic paste being added
Time taken: 45 minutes
Good to remember: 1. Use fresh vegetable for the dish . The green should be preferably fresh and crunchy so that it is easy to chop fine.
2. Use quality dal for better taste.