Time taken: 1 hour
Serves : 4-5
Mujadara is a meditaerraeian rice recipe very popular here in the U.S. We have relished quite it a number of times and is different from the usual pulav. It is a combination of brown lentils(Masoor) and Basumati rice along with a couple of masala items and the most important ingredient being the decorated caramelized onions which gives the yummy flavour and the aroma to the dish!!!!Here is my version of the dish.
What you need to have:
- Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. Brown lentils – 1 and 1/2 cup
3. Chopped onions – 3-4 cups(chopped lengthwise)
4. Cinnamon pieces – 2-3
5. Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
6. Fresh ground pepper – 1 teaspoon
7. Green chili -2
8. salt – as per taste
9. Lemon juice – as needed (optional)
10. Cooking oil – 3-4 tablespoons
What you do with what you have:
1.Place a wide skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. Add half the quantity of cumin seeds, chopped green chili and chopped onions and salt setting the flame on medium/high flame and stir continuously for 45 minutes till very soft. In the beginning it will give away lot of moisture later it will start evaporating..
Chopped onions being fried till soft
2. Turn heat to medium high and keep cooking and stirring until deeply browned for 20 minutes or even more. If pressed for time you can make a higher heat version turning onions with a caramelized exterior and crunchy interior which will be even more delicious!!!( as most of it was used up i had to just keep few caramelized onions and click the photo) Caramelized onions
3. Cook lentils adding a little salt till little soft but not mushy on medium heat. Once done, transfer it to a collander and then transfer it to a plate/bowl. Lentils being cooked Cooked brown lentils
4. Cook rice in the cooker till grainy adding required quantity of water . When done mix the cooked lentils from step-3 to it and add remaining pepper powder and the cumin and half the caramelized onions and salt as well to it. Cooked rice, lentils and caramelized onions, spices being added
Time taken: 1 hour
Serves : 5-6
Good to remember: 1. Always use quality rice for the dish.
2. Use Brown masoor only for the dish.
3. Cooking rice and lentils should be to the right consistency is very important.
4. Spice level depends upon one’s taste.