Time taken:45 minutes in all
Pasta is traditionally an italian cuisine. Typically pasta is a noodle from an unleavened dough, of a durum wheat flour mixed with water and formed into sheets or shapes and cooked and served in any number of dishes. Pasta comes in different shapes and varieties. Pasta may be divided into two different varieties like the dry and the fresh pasta. Common forms of pasta include long shapes, short shapes, tubes flat shapes and sheets, miniature soup shapes and decorative shapes.
Past is generally a simple dish but comes in large varieties because it is a versatile food item. Some pasta dishes are served as a first course in italy because the portion sizes are simple and small. Pasta is also served for light lunch such as salads or large portion sizes for dinner. Pasta sauce vary in colour, taste and texture. Simple pesto sauce is ideal for long and thin strands of pasta aand tomato sauce combines well with thicker pasta. But of course it is one’s choice for sure. I relished it at my son’s place when he served it to us preparing on his own and i absolutely learnt it from him. Here goes my version of vegetable pasta!!!!
What you need to have:
- Pasta kernels- 4-5 cups
2. chopped vegetables – 6-7 cups in all (like Broccli, zuchini, red, yellow and green pepper, squash,etc..,)
3. Chopped garlic pods – around 15-20 (chopped lengthwise)
4. Pesto sauce – around 7-8 teaspoons
5. Chili flakes – 1 teaspoon (as per taste)
6. Basil leaves – 1 teaspoon
7. Olive oil – 3-4 teaspoons
What you do with what you have:
1. Chop vegetables like capsicum, zuchini and squash lengthwise so that it is easy to cook and matches with the pasta kernels. Also chop of the Broccoli florets and cook it in the microwave oven till done as it will not be cooked well with pasta later on. Keep the seeds of capsicum aside so that it can be used while frying garlic pods in seasoning.
2. In a wide pan bring to boil around 1 and 1/2 liters of water and add pasta kernels to it and cook it along with 2 teaspoons of cooking and salt till soft as per your palate. Transfer it to a collander and hold it under running water so that is not over cooked.
Cooked pasta kernels
3. Place a wide pan with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add chopped garlic to it and fry till aromatic. While being done add capsicum seeds and chili flakes and cook till fried.
Chopped garlic being fried in oil
4. When done add chopped veggies including partially cooked Broccoli florets and also other veggies and cook till done stiring every now and then, adding pasta sauce in steps. Veggies being added Pasta sauce being added to cooked veggies in steps
5. Finally add cooked pasta kernels from step-2 to it checking for salt stir it and serve hot transferring it to a serving plate. As usual yummmmmmmmmm!!! Cooked pasta kernels being added Ready to serve veg-pasta
Time taken: 45 minutes in all
Serves : 5-6
Good to remember: 1. Use any pasta kernels of your choice.
2. Use preferably fresh veggies than frozen.
3. One can use any sauce of her choice.