Time taken: 45 minutes
If one has become accustomed to thinking about celery as a crunchy local vegetable, but not a key part of your health it is time to think again. Recent research has greatly bolstered about celery’s anti inflammatory health benefits, including its protection against its inflammation in the digestive tract it self. In addition to well known antioxidants, like vitamin c and flavonoids, scientists have identified a dozen of other type of antioxidant nutrients in celery. The antioxidant we get from celery, is largely due to its phenolic nutrients that have been shown to help protect us against unwanted oxygen damage to our cells, blood vessels and organ systems. One more thing if you are planning to steam veggies as part of your meal, you can include celery without having to worry about the excessive loss of its phenol based antioxidants.
Noticing of all these goodness of this veggie i tried out this one pot meal as a first recipe of this veggie on my blog, for the reason being that, when a person consumes this veggie for the first time can easily relish with rice and other ingredients being familiar to and will not get offended by the same. Here goes my version of celery vegetable rice recipe….
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. Chopped celery stem – 1/2 cup
3. Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
4. Chopped carrots – 1/2 cup
5. Cinnamon stick -2
6. Cloves – 2-3
7. Cardamom -1
8. Cashews – a few
9. Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
10. Cooking oil – 2 teaspoons
Ingredients of seasoning
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Chopped celery leaves – a few
2. Ginger – 1″ piece
3. Garlic pods -2-3
4. Green chili -2-3
5. Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Mint leaves -3-4
What you do with what you have:
1.Wash and chop peal onions, carrots and celery stem fine and keep it aside as shown in the above image.
2. Wash and drain basumati rice and keep it aside in a bowl/plate aside.
3. Place a cooker on medium flame with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom to it. When a pleasant aroma oozes out, add cashews and fry till done. Now add chopped onions , turmeric powder and salt and fry till transparent. When done, add chopped celery stem from step-1 to it and cook till done. Add chopped carrots, green peas as well to it and give a stir.
Seasoning in progress
4. In the mean time grind all the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding water in steps to a fine consistency. Add this masala to the seasoning in the mixer, and stir till you get a pleasant aroma. Grind wet masala Grind wet masala added to the seasoning
Time taken:45 minutes
Good to remember:
- Always use good quality basumati rice for the dish.
2. Use fresh celery for better flavour.
3. One may use some vegetable stock even instead of adding normal water to the dish.
4. If one likes to relish the dish plain , squeeze a dash of lemon juice while serving.