Time taken : 1 hour (other than soaking)
Masoor though not that popular but nevertheless is good from health point of view. I make sprouted parathas,usli, and now thought of putting up this yummy Makhani which is a good combo with Roti, Nan and also white rice and papad!!! Here goes the recipe….
What you need to have:
1. Masoor – 1 cup (when soaked it will be 2 and 1/2 cups)
Ingredients of seasoning & garnishing:
1. Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
2. Chopped onions – 1 cup
3. Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
4. Green chili – 2
5. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
6. Dhania jeera power – 1 teaspoon
7. Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
9. Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon(home made)
10. Chopped cilantro – 1 tablespoon
11. Milk – 1/4 cup
12. Oil – 1 tablespoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop onions fine, also chop tomatoes, cilantro fine and keep it aside.
2. Soak Masoor and Kidney beans in water for about 8 hours. Cook it in the cooker adding water till soft .
3. Place a skillet with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add cumin seeds to it. Once it splutters, add chopped onions to it along with a little salt. When onions turn a little soft, add chopped tomatoes to it fry it till mushy. Chopped onions being fried in the seasoning Chopped tomatoes being fried
5. Add in cooked Masoor -kidney beans mix from step-2 to it , also add required quantity of water to it to bring it to required consistency and bring it to boil simmering the flame. Finally add either milk cream or whole milk to it and bring it to boil. Milk cream being added to it
Time taken: 1 hour
Serves : 6-8
good to remember: 1. Use fresh Masoor and Rajma for the dish as they do not tend to cook if stale.
2. This dish will always taste better for the next day.