Time taken: 1 hour
Spring onions, on the other hand, look similar to scallions, but you’ll notice that they have small onion bulbs at the base. These onions come from the varietals that produce bulbs and are basically more mature versions of scallions. They are planted as seedlings in the late fall and then harvested the next spring, thus the word “spring” in the name.
Spring onions are sweeter and mellower than regular onions, but the greens are more intense in flavor than scallions. The bulbs can be red or white, depending on the variety, and while they can be used in much the same way as regular bulb onions, they are great grilled, roasted whole, or used like pearl onions.
I have already put up a couple of recipes like the stir fried spring onion , spring onion greens paratha and also i have used in oats vegetable oroti etc. Today i would like to put up spring onion pulav which is really unique and tastes great!!! Here we go!!!
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. chopped Spring onion bulbs – 1/2 cup
3. Chopped Spring onion greens – 1 cup (half the quantity to use while cooking & remaining to garnish)
4. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Chopped Garlic pods -6-8
6. Green chili – 2
7. Cashews – a few
8. Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon(home made)
9. Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
10. Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
11. cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
12. Salt – as needed
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop spring onion bulbs and green s separately and keep it aside as shown in the images.
2. Place a cooker with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add cumin seeds to it. When fried add chopped garlic pods to it. When done, add cashews and slit green chili to it.
Seasoning in progress
Time taken: 1 hour
Serves : 3-4
Good to remember: 1. Use fresh spring onions as we need to eat it raw while garnished.
2. Use quality rice for best results.
3. One need not add spring onion greens while cooking and add the whole lot to garnish. I added half the quantity as i wanted to really enjoy the flavor of it when cooked.