Ready to serve Barley masala dosa with green chutney &chutney powder
Makes : 20 dosas of the above size
Time taken: 45 minutes (excluding grinding & fermenting)
Barley is a wonderfully versatile cereal grain with a rich nut like flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency. Its appearance resembles wheat berries. Barley is one of those wonderful grains that doesn’t get the attention it deserves. With a chewy texture and nutty flavor, barley is a delicious whole grain that can be used in a number of ways. It is also a very nutritious and healthy food, with lots of fiber and a number of trace minerals like selenium, manganese and phosphorus. It is available in 2 varieties. The cream coloured (hulled) and the normal polished white coloured which is shown in the image above.
I prepared dosa with barley and it tasted great and also crispy as it was accompanied with usual garlic wet chutney, green chutney and the potato-onion bhaji. It tasted like the normal masala dosa and was liked by all at home. Here goes the recipe of Barley dosa!!!
What you need to have:
1. Barley grains – 1/2 cup
2. Black gram dal – 1/4 cup
3. Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
4. Raw rice – 1 and 1/2 cups
5. Salt – as per taste
6. Water – as needed to grind
5. Cooking oil as need
ed – to fry dosa
ingredients of Barley masala dosa
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak barley grains in warm water for about 4 hours. Soak Black gram dal and fenugreek seeds together in water for about 4 hours. Soak raw rice in water for about 2 hours.
2. Drain water and grind barley in the mixer adding water in steps to a fine and normal consistency. Pour it to a bowl. Grind black gram dal in the mixer/grinder adding water in steps to a fine and thick consistency. Transfer the grind batter to the same bowl.
3. Grind rice adding water in steps to a fine and normal consistency. Transfer the grind batter to the earlier bowl and mix it well with your hands so that it turns into a homogeneous mix. Add salt and allow it to ferment over night. Grind Barley masala dosa batter Fermented Barley masala dosa batter
4. Place a dosa skillet and splash a little oil on it. On heating splash water on it. Rub it with a coconut coir or tissue paper. Splash water again and pour a ladle of batter on it spread it to the required thickness. While being cooked apply red garlic chutney in a circular manner. Also place potato-onion bhaji into it and fold the dosa.
Time taken: 45 minutes(excluding grinding & fermenting)
Makes : 20 dosas
good to remember:
1. Buy quality black gram dal for best results.
2. Use fresh Barley grain as it will taste bitter when stale.
3. Soak Barley in pretty warm water not only to ferment well but also to ease grinding.
4. Fermentation helps to make thin and crispy dosa.