Makes : 12-15
Time taken:1 hour
Dabeli masala is a great street food of india. It originated from the Kutch region. Mandvi, the Paris of Kachch-Gujrath , is famous for its Dabeli masala. The visit to Mandvi is incomplete without the tasting of Dabeli.
I tasted this in Bombay and then tried it out a couple of times at my son’s house and all relished at home. I thought of sharing it with my fellow bloggers and here goes my version of the recipe….
What you need to have for the filling:
1. Cooked & mashed potatoes – 3 Cups
2. Chopped onions – 2 Cups
3. Chopped tomatoes – 1 cup
4. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
5. Dabeli masala powder – 2 Teaspoon
6. Chopped Cilantro – 2 Tablespoon(for garnishing)
7. alaemon juice – 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Salt – To taste
What you do with what you have:
4. When done add dabeli masala to it and give a strong stir on lowering the flame and also a little salt to it and keep the mixture stiring till oil seperates from it.
5. When done, add cooked and mashed potatoes from step-1 to it ans mix well and keep stiring, finally add chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Cooked & mashed potatoes being added Cilantro being added along with lemon juice
6. Transfer it to a bowl and garnish with cilantro, onions, spicy peanuts and grated coconut.
In the mean time we make the spicy peanuts ready .
Ingredients of Spicy peanuts:
1. Pealed & roasted peanuts – 1/2 Cup
2. Chili powder – 1/2 Teaspoon (depending upon the spiciness)
3. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
4. Salt – As needed
1. Place a spatula with a little oil in it. When heated add peanuts , chili powder, asafoetida powder and salt. Give a stir to it and since it is roasted it is done immediately.
We need chili-garlic chutney as well to apply to the pav-bread slice. The recipe is here.
Ingredients of Chili-Garlic chutney:
1. Garlic cloves – 6-8
2. Red chili ( bydgi chili – 4-5)
3. Lemon juice – 2 Tablespoons
How to proceed to arrange and serve:
4. All the other ingredients needed is starting clockwise from spicy peanuts, green chutney, chili-garlic chutney, sweet chutney, chopped onion and cilantro, sev, pomagranate seeds(not there) and finally alu masala in the centre is arranged here with. One can find both green and sweet chutney recipes in my “Ragda patties” recipe on this blog . stuffing needed to serve dabeli
Makes :12-15 of the above size
Time taken:1 hour
Good to remember: 1. Potato should be cooked without adding water.
2. Potato filling should be mashed well so that it is easy to spread over.
3. Both the green chutney and sweet chutney recipe is on this blog in the recipe “Ragda patties”..
4. I have not added fresh grated coconut since i just wanted to avoid but of course is must.
5. One can even make use of ready made sweet and green chutney if available.