Makes 75 of the above size(depending upon the thickness of the disc)
Time taken: 1 hour
I wish all my fellow bloggers and the readers of my blog a very happy diwali and also a very happy new year too. There is a saying that diwali is never complete without chakli. Last year i put up plain wheat atta chakli and today i gave a trial with a combination of wheat atta and maida with the usual Blackgram dal and other ingredients and it was a big hit. It was as crispy as the “Maida chakli” which is the signature recipe among chakli recipes on this blog, except for the colour being brown. Here is my version of the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram dal – 1 cup
2. Maida/all purpose flour – 2 cups
3. Wheat atta- 3 cups
4. Amul butter – 2 tablespoon
5. Cumin seeds – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
6. white pepper – 1 teaspoon
7. Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
8. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon(optional)
9. salt -as per taste
10. Water – 3 and 1/2 cups(approx)
11. Cooking oil -2-3 cups(to fry chakli)
What you do with what you have:
1. Dry roast black gram dal in a skillet on medium flame till you get a pleasant aroma and later,, on switching of the heat add cumin seeds and pepper to it. On cooling, powder it to a fine consistency in the mixer. Roasted blackgram dal with cumin and pepper
2. Sieve both wheat atta and maida in the sieve and keep it aside as shown in image-2.
5. Sieve the steamed powder in the sieve. Also mix the roasted powdered dal mix from step-1 to it and sieve it a couple of times so that it is mixed evenly and is as shown in the image below. Add salt, butter and sesame seeds to it. One can even add chili powder if needed. Wheat atta & maida chakli mix
8. Place wide skillet with olive oil or any cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating, just flip the chakli disc from step-7 to it and fry till it is just fried on one side. Flip and cook on the reverse till brown and crispy. Chakli being fried
Makes: 75 of the above size(depending on the thickness of the disc)
Time taken: 1 hour
Good to remember: 1. Use quality blackgram dal for the dish. Else the chakli can turn hard.
2. Using red chili powder is one’s option in addition to pepper.
3. Please do not add water at ones. Always add water in steps.
4. Fry on medium flame only and adjust there upon later.
5. Store it in air tight containers for chakli to remain crispy and fresh.
6. Always use fresh cooking oil for frying.