Time taken: 30 minutes(excluding soaking of dal)
Broccoli’s nutritional profile is very impressive. It contains high level of fiber (both soluble and insoluble) and is also a very rich source of vitamin c. Eating broccoli promotes the production of enzymes that help protect heart blood vessels and reduce the molecules that damage them.
Over recent years researchers all over the world have identified a wide range of therapeutic properties associated with broccoli. So apart from being a nutritional power house, it has lot more health benefits.
Eat Broccoli lightly steamed and eating raw is strongly recommended to gain the optimum benefit of the veggie. It also fights against Cancer and reverses the Diabetes heart damage.
Broccoli may also prevent skin cancer not by eating though but by applying it to the skin. Knowing so much of goodness of the veggie why not consume if available?????
I have put up “Broccoli paratha” a few weeks back on this blog and today i would love to put up this sir fry recipe of this healthy veggie. When we were in the U.S for the last 6 months i prepared a few dishes a couple of times and would like to share with you all now.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped fresh Broccoli – 2-3 cups
2. Chopped onions – 1 cup
Other ingredients of seasoning & Garnishing:
4. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Red chili powder – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
7. Toasted sesame seeds – 1 Tablespoon
8. Grated coconut – 1 Tablespoon
9. Lemon juice – 1/2 Teaspoon
10. Chopped cilantro – 2 Tablespoons(for garnishing)
10. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
11. Salt – As per taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, chop and pat dry Broccoli , pealing ultra stem pieces and cut into bite size flowrets and keep it aside as shown in image-2.
2. Wash , peal and chop onions fine and keep it aside. Soak chick pea dal in water for about 30 minutes and in the cooker till done and keep it aside.
4. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it and when it splutters add curry leaves to it and fry till done.
Time taken: 30 minutes
Serves : 3-4
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh Broccoli for better taste. One can even half cook the veggie as i feel you are consuming it healthy!!!!
2. One can even use any lentil of their choice