Ready to serve Bottle gourd Black eyed peas kurma
Time taken: 45 minutes
Bottle gourd in english is gar-doodhi in konkani and Lauki in marati and Sorekayi in kannada is a vegetable very sweet and is either long or round in its shape which is supposed to be loaded with lot of medicinal value, but not at all popular veggie at all and the black eyed peas we call it Alasande bee in konkani and Alsande beeja in kannada. I have already put up bottle gourd chutney, bottle gourd payasam and today after a long time this is the third recipe of this veggie on this blog.
What you need to have:
1. Cued Bottle gourd – 3-4 cups
2. Black eyed peas – 1 cup(frozen)
Cubed Bottle gourd & frozen black eyed peas
Ingredients of seasoning & Garnishing:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Chopped Tomatoes – 1/2 cup
3. Tej patta/Masala patta – 2
4. Green chili -3-4
5. Cinnamon stick -1
6. Cardamom -2
7. Cloves -2-3
Ingredients of Seasoning
9. Ginger-garlic paste – 1/2 Teaspoon each
9. Coriander powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
11. Red chili powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
12. Garam masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon (home made)
Other ingredients of seasoning & garnishing
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop the gourd and cook it in the cooker adding salt so that it is not mashed.
2. Place a wide skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add Tej patta to it along with cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. When the pleasant aroma oozes out add slit green chili to it and fry till done. Masala ingredients being fried in oil
Chopped onions being fried
4. When done add chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy. When done add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Yoghurt – 1/2 Cup
2. Poppy seeds – 1 Tablespoon
6. Soak Almonds in water for about an hour. Peal and grind along with curds, poppy seeds to a fine paste. In the mean time while the masala being done just wash and cook the frozen black eyed peas in the micro wave oven till done. Grind wet paste
7. Add cooked bottle gourd and also the black eyed peas to the seasoned masala and give a strong stir. Now add the wet masala to it and also add a little water to bring it to the required consistency also check for salt and close it with a lid lowering the flame cook till ever thing combines to form a homogeneous mix. Switch of the flame and garnish with chopped cilantro. Grind masala being added to the veggie mix
Time taken : 45 minutes
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh and tender bottle gourd for better taste.
2. One can even use sprouted black eyed peas if available.