Ready to serve Ragi flour & coconut burfi
Makes : 25
Time taken : 45 minutes
Ragi atta is so good from health point of view as major portion of Ragi Flour is carbohydrate, followed by protein and fiber. It has the least amount of fat in them. Ragi flour also contains a sulphur based amino acid called Methionoine which is essential for promoting healthy skin and hair. The Sulfur which we get from Methionine helps produce a substance called lecithin which helps reduce cholesterol, reduce fat inside the livers and help protect kidneys. This methionine is generally lacking in staple diet of some of the vegetarians and hence regular Ragi intake will help get enough of these amino acids.
I have already put up Ragi dishes like the Ragi manni, instant dosa, bhujia, ragi peanut laddoos and today i would like to put up Ragi flour-coconut burfi. In a way i would like to add this amazing grain into our daily menu in one way or the other!!! This is my version of the recipe…( i have halved the measurement while preparing)
What you need to have;
1. Ragi flour – 1 cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
3. Jaggery chopped – 1 and 1/2 cup
4. Melted ghee – litttle less than 1/2 cup
5. Sugar powder to dust – 1 Tablespoon(optional)
6. Cardamom powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
Ragi atta being fried in ghee
2. Add a little ghee and roast fresh grated coconut till you get a pleasant aroma. Both roasted flour and fried coconut is as shown in the image below.
3. In a pan add chopped jaggery and water to just soak jaggery and heat it on medium flame. When it boils just switch of the flame and strain it through the sieve for any dirt etc… Again heat the syrup on medium flame and when it boils for around 5 minutes add fried ragi atta and coconut to it and keep stiring adding 1 teaspoon ghee a couple of times till the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. When being done add cardmom powder and fried cashews to it and spread it on a greeesed wooden plank or on the back of a big plate & Cut it immediately.
Pure ghee being added while being done
The mix being spread and cut into pieces
4. Store it in air tight containers. Remains fresh for about 8-10 days.
Ready to serve Ragi-flour & coconut burfi
Makes : around 25
Time taken: 45 minutes in all
Good to remember:
1. Atta must be fried in a little ghee so that it does not get burnt.
2. One can add any dry fruit of her choice except raisins
3.aiat is better to use normal jaggery for the dish.