Makes : 5-6
Serves : 2
Kohlrabi/Turnip /knolkol/Navilu kosu in english, hindi and kannada respectively. It is very commonly cooked vegetable in German speaking countries. It can be eaten both raw and cooked. I have already put upkari and salad. Today i would like to put up the rare but really tastiest of the parathas i would say. So please give a try!!!!
What you need to have:
1. Grated Knol kol – 1 Cup
2. Cumin seeds – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Chopped onions – 1/2 Cup
4. Red chili powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
6. Garam masala powder – 1/4 Teaspoon(home made)
7. Dhania-jeera powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Chopped green chili – 1
9. Chopped cilantro – 1 Tablespoon
Grated Knol kol with chopped cilantro cumin seeds
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate Knol kol veggie and sprinkle a little salt to it and squeeze out the extra juice from it. One can use it to make the outer dough and if not sufficient use the normal water to make the dough. Cook it in a wide skillet till all the water content is evaporated and keep it aside.
Chopped onions being fried in oil
Cooked veggie being added to the onion masala mix
The stuffing being shaped
What you need to have for the outer dough:
1. Wheat atta – 1 Cup
2. Salt – As needed
3. Cooking oil – 1 Teaspoon
4. Water – 1/3 Cup(approx)
Ingredients of the outer dough
Pinched out ball, stuffing placed and closed edges, and stuffing placed edges being folded
Rolled parathas ready to roast
6. Place a roti skillet and splash a little oil/ghee on it and place the paratha on it and fry till done. Flip and fry till brown dots appear and fluff as well. Repeat the same process with the rest of the rolled parathas.
Knol kol paratha being roasted on the reverse
Ready to serve Knol kol parathas with tomato sauce
Makes : 4-5
Time taken : 45 minutes & serves : 2
Good to remember:
1. Use very tender Knol kol veggie for the dish. Else grating is not possible and will not be tasty too!!!
2. Using both red chili powder and green chili will make the paratha tastier, as the veggie is a little weird to taste.