Ready to serve Pigeon pea cutlet with tomato sauce
Fresh Pigeon peas/Thogari kalu/Thori in english, kannada and konkani respectively. It is available in India only during December and january. When i came to New york at my son’s place it was available in plenty at the indian stores and of a very superior quality for sure. I had tried it out in Manipal and had not flashed any photos , so thought of preparing the dish and sharing the recipe with you all. I have already pu up a couple of cutlets like the veg-cutlet(the first and the fore most) , and the latest being the sprouted Moong bean cutlet and now this pigeon pea cutlet to add to the long list of cutlets on this blog. Here is my version of the recipe.
Fresh Pigeon pea Beans
What you need to have:
1. Fresh pigeon peas – 1 cup
2. Grated Beet root – 1/2 cup
3. Boiled and crushed potatoes – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
2. Chopped onions – 1 cup
3. Grated ginger – 1/2 Teaspoon(grind with pigeon peas)
4. Greeen chili – 2(grind with pigeon peas)
5. Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
7. Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon (home made)
8. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoon
9. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
Chopped veggies & Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal the pigeon peas and keep it aside as shown in image-2.
2. Wash and peal potato and cook it till smooth as usual in the cooker till soft. On cooling grate it, also peal and grate beetroot , also wash, peal and chop onions and keep all the items aside as shown in image-3.
Grind pigeon pea mix
4. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it. When it splutters, add chopped onions and salt to it and fry till transparent. Chopped onions being fried in seasoning
Chopped cilantro, grated potato& rusk powder being added
Ingredients of dusting & Garnishing:
1. Chopped cilantro – A handful
2. Lemon juice – 2 Teaspoons
Cutlet mix being shaped
Shaped cutlets being dusted
Fresh Pigeon pea cutlets being fried & ready to serve
Ready to serve Pigeon pea cutlets with tomato sauce
Makes : 20 of the above size
Time taken : 45 minutes
1. Use fresh pigeon pea than the dry ones for extra taste.
2. One can even deep fry the same but my option is to shallow fry.
3. One can even relish it with tamarind chutney and green chutney.