Ready to serve Moongdal puri with peas masala
Makes – 10-12 of the above size
Time taken : 30 minutes(other than soaking)
Moongdal/greengram dal/Hesrubele/Moogadali in hindi , english, kannada and konkani respectively. Moongdal is the best among all dals from the point of view of health. We use it in dishes like the kichadi, kosambari , dalithoy etc. Today i would like to put up stuffed moongdal puri which tasted very yummy and tasty too. Here is my version of the dish.
What you need to have:
1. Moong dal – 1/4 cup
2. Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
3. Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
4. Salt – as needed
5. Spring onions – 1 tablespoon
6. Wheat atta – 1/2 cup
7. Maida – 1/4 cup
8. Asafoetida powder – a pinch(i have not added)
9. Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon(i have not added)
10. Cooking oil – 1 teaspoon
11. Cooking oil – 2 cups (to fry puri)
Ingredients of moongdal puri
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak moong dal in water for about an hour. Wash and chop spring onions , ginger and keep it aside.
Grind moong dal mix
3. Transfer the grind mix to a wide bowl and add maida, wheat atta and cooking oil to it and knead it into a stiff dough. Grind dal mix other ingredients of puri dough 4. Make a stiff dough and let it set aside for about 15-20 minutes. Pinch out required quantity of the dough and roll it into medium thick consistency and is as shown in the image below. Puri dough, pinched out ball and rolled puri
5. Place a skillet with 2 cups of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated just test the oil by just frying a small pinch of the dough in it. If it raises instantly then just slip a rolld puri from the side of the skillet. Press it with your ladle in the middle so that it puffs up.
Moongdal Puri being fried
Moongdal Puri being fried on the reverse
Moong dal puri with peas masala
Makes 10-12 of the above size
Time taken – 30 minutes(other than soaking)
Note: 1. Always drain water completely from moongdal as it tends to make the mix watery.
2. Do not add water at all while grinding the dal mix.
3. One can add only maida to make puri. I have added wheat atta to make it healthier.
4. Fry puri on medium flame only.