Ready to serve Masala avrekalu idli
Time taken – 20 minutes(other than soaking,grinding & fermenting)
Makes – 20
Avrekalu/Surthi beans/Hyacinth beans’s season is now at the peak and will come to an end in a couple of weeks. I have just pealed and stored it in my refrigerator to prepare a few dishes for a change. I have already put up Avrekalu kurma, chithranna, mixture, Hithkubele, roti and today i would like to put up Avrekalu masala idli . It really tasted yum with chutney. One can even relish with sambar too!!!Here is my version of the dish.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram dal – 1/2 cup(urad dal/uddina bele)
2. Rice rava – 1 cup
3. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of garnishing:
1. Double pealed & cooked avrekalu – 1/2 cup
2. Chopped coconut pieces – 2 tablespoons
3. Chopped cilantro – 2 tablespoons
4. Grated ginger – 1 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak blackgram dal in water for about 4 hours. Drain water and grind in the mixer/grinder adding water in steps to a fine but thick consistency.
Grind dal batter to which sujee & salt being added
3. Double peal avrekalu and cook it in the cooker with a pinch of salt and allow it to cool down. Chop cilantro, ginger, green chili and also chop a few pieces of fresh coconut and keep it aside as shown in the above image. Mix all these ingredients to the fermented idli batter.
All ingredients of garnishing being added to the fermented idli batter
4. Place a wide idli steamer with 2-3 cups of water and allow it to boil. Greece the idli mould and pour the batter in each mould and place the idli stand in the steamer. Steam idlis for about 10-12 minutes till done. When a knife is inserted it comes out clean.
Steamed/cooked Avrekalu idli
Avrekalu idli with super chutney
Time taken – 20 minutes(other than soaking & grinding, fermenting)
Note: 1. Use quality blackgram dal for soft idlis.
2. Grind the idli batter thick for best results.
3. I always make idli rava at home with sona masuree rice.
4. Double pealing you can refer to the “Hithakubele” recipe on this blog.