Ready to serve kooka saung
How long it takes: 45 minutes (other than cooking and pealing the veggie)
Number of servings: 4-5
Chinese potato/kook/Sambrani in English, Konkani and Kannada respectively. Even though it can be considered as the close cousin of the king potato, it is available only for 2-3 months in a year. It is really healthy, generally and certainly for lactating women. We also prepare various dishes like the tikkies, upkari and today I would like to put up Kooka saung. It is a good combination with Konkani dalithoy , rice and papad. This is among the classical Konkani delicacies.
What you need to have:
1. Chinese potatoes (kooka) 2 cups
2. Chopped onions – 2 cups(to season)
3. Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons(to grind)
4. Fenugreek seeds – 8-10
5. Red chili – 5-6(spicy)
6. Tamarind – A generous lump
Fresh chinese potatoes
Ingredients of seasoning & grinding
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and cook chinese potatoes in the cooker adding a little salt and water till soft. On cooling peal them and keep it aside.
Cooked and pealed chinese potatoes
2. Wash and peal onions lengthwise and keep it aside. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add chopped onions to it adding salt to fry till transparent.
Chopped onions being fried till transparent
3. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it and fry coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chili in it. On cooling grind it with tamarind and a little water to a fine consistency.
Grind wet masala
4. Add the wet masala to the fried onions and give a stir.
Grind wet masala being added to the fried onions
5. Add cooked and pealed chinese potatoes from step 1 to the Onion-Masala mix and give a stir.
Cooked chinese potatoes being added to the fried onion masala mix
6. Add a little water, check for salt and bring it to boil on low flame to incorporate the dish with the masala to make a homogeneous mix.
A closer view of the dish
Good to remember:
1. Fresh kook should be used for the dish for better results.
2. Onions should be chopped fine to get incorporated with the masala and the veggie.
3. People use coconut too in the masala which can surely be omited.