Ragi sev/Finger millet sev
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Ragi/Finger millet/nanchano in Kannada, English and Konkani respectively. It is grown and consumed in places like Karnataka, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Odisha etc. Ragi flour is made into flat rotis and also the popular Ragi mudde” and also idli, instant dosa and today I would like to put up “Ragi sev”. I have already put up Bhujia sev, Alu bhujia sev and Ragi sev is third to add to the list. Here goes the recipe:
What you need to have:
1. Ragi flour – 1 cup
2. Besan flour(Chickpea atta) – 1 cup
3. Rice atta – 1/4 cup
4. Ajwain/carom seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
6. Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
7. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of Ragi sev/Finger millet
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve all the 3 atta in atta sieve with salt and asafoetida powder and transfer it to a bowl
2. Soak carom seeds in water for about an hour and grind it in the mixer to a fine consistency. Drain it and add the strong solution to the atta mix in the bowl along with raw cooking oil.
Raw cooking oil and other ingredients added to the atta mix
3. Keep kneading the sev dough in such a way that you make a paliable soft dough to suit the mould.
Ragi/Finger millet bhujia/sev
4. Place a skillet 2-3 cups of cooking oil in it low/medium flame. Place the dough in bhuia mould and press it in circular form to make the bhujia. Fry it on both the sides till crispy and done. Place a few tissue towels and let them be drained. Just transfer it to a plate for closer view of the dish
Bhujia being pressed and fried
5. Enjoy with upma, or with a cup of tea or coffee for a time pass! Yum! Store it in air tight containers and will stay for more than 15 days for sure provided fresh cooking oil is used for frying.
Ready to serve Ragi/Finger millet sev
Good to remember:
1. All the 3 variety of atta should be sieved twice for proper mixing.
2. The consistency of the dough depends upon your mould.
3. There is no need to add chili powder since carrom seeds solution it self makes bhujia a little spicy for sure.
4. The taste is really superb like the normal bhujia and please do not mind the colour !
5. Store it in air tight containers and will stay afresh for more than 15 days!!!