Ready to serve pova maandi/rice flakes burfi
Makes – 25 pieces
Time taken – 30 minutes
Beaten rice/rice flakes/povu/Avalakki is available in a number of varieties like the medium, nylon and the thick. Each of the variety is used for different dishes. The medium poha is used in the preparation of alu poha, the thin is used in the preparation of konkani poha and the nylon in Poha upkari etc.., All these recipes i have already put up on this blog a couple of years ago. This pova mandhi is an age old recipe and is popular in the regions of goa and south canara. Here goes my version of this recipe:
What you need to have:
1. Beaten rice (medium variety) – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Chikki bella(antu bella) -little more than 1/3 cup
3. 3. Sesame seeds (white) – 2 tablespoons
4. Grated fresh coconut – 1/2 cup
5. Pure ghee – 2-3 Tablespoons
7. Cashews, pista, Almonds – a handful
8. Water – Half of 1/3 cup
Ingredients of rice flakes burfi(pova maandi)
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with 1 teaspoon of pure ghee in it. When melts add medium poha to it and roast it till it is wilted and you get a pleasant aroma. On cooling just crush it with your hands.
Poha/Rice flakes being roasted
2. Dry roast grated coconut in a skillet till it turns a little dry but is not burnt and you get a pleasant aroma.
Grated coconut being dry roasted
3. Wash and dry roast sesame seeds in a spatula till it.
Sesame seeds being dry roasted
4. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon pure ghee in it. When it melts add chopped cashews and fry till light brown and crispy. So also fry grated almonds till done . Peal cardamom and powder it.
Cashews being fried in pure ghee
Almonds being fried in pure ghee
All the ingredients assembled in a plate
5. Place a skillet with 1 teaspoon of pure ghee in it on medium flame. When it melts add chopped jaggery into it. Also add the required quantity of water and keep stiring for a while. When the syrup turns to a firm drop consistency (a little more than 1 string consistency) add the whole burfi mix to it and give strong stir with the wooden spatula.
Burfi ingredients being mixed into jaggery syrup
Rice flakes burfi mix
6. Apply a little ghee to a wooden plank or the back of a steel plate and spread the burfi mix on it roll it with a roller to evenly spread it. Cut it to required shape and size. It will be crunchy, crispy and tasty too . yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Rice flakes burfi mix being spread and cut into pieces
A closer view of burfi pieces
Makes -25 pieces
Time taken -30 minutes approx
Note: 1. Use fresh stock of beaten rice /rice flakes for the dish.
2. Use chikki jaggery as it contains edible gum and well suited for the dish.
3. Dry fruits of your choice other than raisins may be used.
4. The jaggery syrup should be little more than 1 string consistency. It should form a firm drop when dropped in water.
5. Store in air tight containers and will be afresh for about a fort night.