Time taken : 45 minutes
Palak green needs no introduction at all as it is being so popular that even one can hear about palak dishes like the palak paneer, dal palak , palak methi na muthia through childrens’ menu list as well . I have already put up the above mentioned recipes on this blog and this could be to add to the list of palak recipes and also to add to the long list of parathas put up on this blog. This paratha though very easy to prepare yet yummy too!!!
What you need to have:
1. Palak leaves – 1 cup (makes 1/2 cup puree)
2. Wheat atta – 1 cup
3. Salt – as required
4. Red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
5. Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
6. carom seeds (Ajwain ) – 1/2 teaspoon
7. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
Fresh palak leaves
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, chop and cook palak leaves in the cooker without adding water to the leaves till done. On cooling grind it to make palk puree.
2. Transfer the puree, wheat atta, red chili powder, salt, ajwain seeds, coriander powder,cooking oil to a wide bowl.
3. Make a paliable dough mixing all the ingredients in such a way you knead well to make it a soft dough. Pinch out a lemon sized ball knead well and roll it out to 5-6″ round disc in diameter , drizzle a little oil all over and sprinkle a little dough all over. Using a knife cut 3″ from the centre of the rolled roti to the end of the rolled roti/paratha.
Roti being cut from the middle to the end and folded
4. Take the cut end and roll it towards the other end of the rolled paratha.(see the image )
Paratha being folded & rolled towards the other end
5. Flatten with your palm and is as shown in the image below.
Folded paratha being flattened
6. Dust the working space and roll out a thick paratha.
Rolled palak lachha paratha
7. Place a skillet on low/medium flame. Splash a little oil/ghee and on heating place the rolled paratha on it. When it is done just flip it.
Paratha being roasted
Paratha being roasted when flipped
8. Again flip to see that the brown dots appear on both the sides.
Paratha being roasted on the other side
9. Enjoy with onion rings, curds and mango pickle!!!Yummmmmmmmmm
Ready to serve palak lachha paratha
Time taken : 45 minutes
Note: 1. Use fresh palak greens for the dish since it will give pleasant aroma.
2. Do not add extra water to the dough since the grind puree will be enough to make the dough paliable and adding extra water will spoil the taste.
3. I normally do not use ghee for roasting any paratha as it will be rich in fat.
4. One can use any side dish/pickle to relish the paratha.