Makes – 30 dosas
Time taken – 45 minutes
Foxtail millet in english is Navane in kannada. It is the staple food of Telengana region . Other names for foxtail millet include Italian millet, German millet, Chinese millet, and Hungarian millet. I am in the habit of adding variety of millets in my daily diet since it is good from the health point of view, and i am planning to put up Foxtail millet dosa today. I would also like to put up a couple of recipes of this wonder millet in due course. Though this dosa is new to the p allot is really yummy too!!! It also adds to the long list of dosa on this blog. I also thought instead of having the same old dosa would as well give a try to this variety of healthy dosas and here is my version of the dish….
What you need to have:
1.Fox-tail millet – 2 cups
2. Sona masoorie raw rice – 1 cup
3. Blackgram dal – 1/2 cup
4. Bengalgram dal – 1/4 cup
5. Toor dal /Pigeon pea dal- 1/4 cup
6. Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
7. Salt – as per taste
8. Cooking oil – about 2 tablespoons (For frying dosa)
Ingredients to grind & mix to the dough:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Chopped ginger – 1/2 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak foxtail millet, rice in two separate bowls, soak also black-gram dal in another bowl , but soak the other two dal and fenugreek together in another bowl for about 4 hours.
2. Grind blackgram dal in the grinder adding water in steps to a fine consistency. When done add soaked rice to it(draining all water) and grind it to a fine consistency together with it. Grind soaked foxtail millet as well in the mixer draining water and adding required quantity of water in steps to a fine consistency. Later on grind the other two dals with fenugreek seeds in the mixer to a fine consistency adding limited water (let the mix not be thin) and pour the mix, as well as the grind foxtail millet too into the grind mix of dal and rice and just grind for about 5 minutes to get incorporated to an elegant mixture. The grind dosa batter is as shown in the image below. Add salt and allow it to ferment over night.
Grind fox tail millet dosa batter
3. The fermented dosa batter is here below.
Fermented fox tail millet dosa batter
4. Just take a laddle or two of the dosa batter and grind it with chopped onions and ginger to a fine consistency and mix it to the dosa batter.
5. Place a dosa skillet on medium flame and splash a few drops of cooking oil and brush it with either coconut coir or a kitchen cloth so that oil is spread to the whole skillet. When heated splash a little water and spread a laddle of batter on it to a required thickness adjusting the flame and splash a little oil over it.
Dosa being roasted till crispy
6. Just fold dosa and transfer it to a serving plate as there is no need to flip it. Repeat the same proceedure to the remaining batter.
Cooked dosa ready to be served
7. Enjoy it with chutney and chutney powder of your choice or even a gravy dish!!!Really yummmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
Ready to serve foxtail millet dosa with chutney & chtney powder
Makes – 30 dosas
Time taken – 45 minutes(just to make dosas, other than soaking, fermenting & grinding)
Note: 1. As written one must grind the ingredients and the batter will be well set.
2. Make the batter thick so that on fermenting it will be just right.
3. Adding grind onions and ginger mix will give an excellent flavor to the dish. If you are not using the whole lot of the batter please do not add the mix to it and keep the extra batter plain in the refrigerator so that it will be fresh and can be added later .
4. One can even complete the whole process in the mixer it self if grinder is not available.