Ready to serve Hayagreeva maddi
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings: 10-12
Bengalgram dal/Chanadal though resembles Toor dal very closely is not as widely used in our daily menu – meals and dinners – as the former. Instead, it finds use in snacks such as sweet chanadal kichadi, crispy fried chanadal, Puran poli, Madgane. Along similar lines, today I would like to put up a sweet dish prepared in combination with chana dal, jaggery, poppy seeds, and pure ghee a prasadam dish for the Varamahalakshmi Pooja on the 16th of this month.
What you need to have:
1. Bengalgram dal – 1 cup
2. Jaggery – 3/4 cup
3. Poppy seeds – 2 Tablespoons
4. Cashews – a few
5. Raisins – a few
6. Cardamom -10-15
7. Fresh grated coconut – a handful
7. Pure ghee – 1/4 cup Ingredients of Hayagreeva dish Other ingredients of the dish
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with a teaspoon of ghee in it and warm up chana dal for about 10 minutes on simmering the flame till you get a pleasant aroma but of course do not burn it.
2. On cooling add 2 cups or a little more water to it and cook it in the as usual for about 25 minutes till soft.
3. In the mean time grate coconut, peal and powder cardamom, chop jaggery as well fine and keep it aside.
4. Place a wide bowl with chopped jaggery and also add 1/2 cup water to it on medium flame. Once jaggery dissolves in water, keep it aside to settle and strain for dirt through the strainer. jaggery syrup boiled and strained
5. Add the syrup back into the bowl and add cooked dal from step-2 to it and cook till cooked dal and jaggery syrup mixed together. Cooked dal being added to strained jaggery syrup
6. Place a spatula and dry roast poppy seeds till done. On cooling powder it in the mixer Poppy seeds being dry roasted
7. Place a spatula with 1 0r 2 teaspoons of pure ghee in it. Add both cashews, Raisins and fry till done. Cashews and Raisins being fried in ghee
8. When dal and jaggery syrup mix up add poppy seeds powder from step 6 and fried dry fruits from step 7 to it. Also add fresh grated coconut as well and give a strong stir to the mix. Add 2- tablespoons of ghee too to it. Keep stirring constantly to make sure things do not burn and the frying is uniform. Dry fruits, poppy seeds & cardamom powder grated coconut being added
9. Transfer it to a serving bowl for a closer view of the dish. closer view of Hayagreeva dish
Good to remember:
1. Jaggery syrup should be strained to avoid the dirt ( little stones etc.) that often come with jaggery.
2. Make sure the dish is given a constant stir to avoid it from getting burnt.