How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
It is a long time since I have put up Poha/Beaten rice dishes. We normally prepare the popular Alu-poha, konkani poha and today I am putting up an interesting variation. Frankly before I tried this I never thought it would turn out so great. I added capsicum for extra flavor to the dish and also in a way we will be relishing poha with veggies ( = healthy !) too instead of the usual plain poha. Here is my version of the dish.
What you need to have:
1. Medium poha – 1 and 1/2 cups
2. Chopped Dill leaves – 2 cups
3. Chopped capsicum – 2 cups
Chopped dill leaves & capsicum
Ingredients of seasoning & garnishing:
1. Chopped onions – 2 cups
2. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
6. Fresh grated coconut – A handful
7. Chopped cilantro – A handful
8. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
9. Salt As needed
Ingredients of seasoning & garnishing
1. Soak poha in water for about 10-15 minutes (if it is medium poha) and drain out the water and keep it aside.
2. Wash and chop dill leaves and capsicum fine and keep aside.
3. Place a skillet with 2-3 teaspoons of cooing oil in it on medium flame. Add cumin seeds and when it splutters add chopped onions and required quantity of salt, turmeric powder and curry leaves and fry till onions turn transparent
Onions being fried till transparent
4. When onions turn transparent, add chopped dill leaves & capsicum from step 2 to it and fry till cooked closing it with a lid on simmering the flame.
Chopped capsicum & dill leaves being added
Chili powder being added to the cooked veggies
Soaked poha being added
6. When done garnish with chopped cilantro and fresh grated coconut and squeeze lemon juice too.
Poha being garnished with cilantro& coconut
Closer view of the dish
Good to remember:
1. Always use medium poha for the dish – it soaks faster and also cooks faster.
2. One can use any veggie of your choice for the dish in place of capsicum, except it should be something that cooks fast.
3. I did not use green chili since we can’t distinguish these from capsicum.