How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
This is an easy dish for starters to enjoy with dal and rice. It can be prepared in a span of 25-30 minutes if fresh and tender cabbage is used for the dish and if chopped fine too. I have already put a few cabbage dishes like the cabbage bhuthi, cabbage sanna polo, cabbage-carrot salad and cabbage rice and now comes cabbage upkari for all the cabbage lovers.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped cabbage – 4-5 cups
2. Chopped potato – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of seasoning & garnishing:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Blackgram dal – 1 teaspoon
3. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
4. Green chili – 4-5
5. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
6. Chopped onions -= 1 cup
7. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
8. Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
9. Cooking oil -2-3 teaspoons
10. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of seasoning & garnishing
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop potatoes, onion fine. Chop and wash cabbage fine too. Slit green chili, grate coconut and keep it aside.
2. Place a wide skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add cumin, mustard seeds and when it starts to splutter add black gram dal to it. When it is fried add slit green chili to it and give a stir. Add chopped onions and salt to it and fry till it turns transparent.
3. Once it turns transparent add chopped cabbage and potato to it and close it with a lid till it cooks to smooth and transfer it to a dish.
Chopped cabbage & potato being added
Fresh coconut being added to curry
Closer view of the dish
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh and tender cabbage for the dish so that it cooks faster.
2. If one does not like onions in seasoning you can replace it by asafoetida powder and all other ingredients being the same.